Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up

Announcements

Have you had a kidney transplant or are waiting for one? Then visit the Organ Transplant Community and the Diabetes and Kidney Community to share your experiences with other community members!

Are you newly diagnosed? Use the WebMD search engine to read articles like Understanding Kidney Disease.
Just diagnosed with Acute Kidney Failure
zachnate67 posted:
My mom's creatinine levels for the last few years have been 1.2 - 1.5, just this month her levels went to 2.3. In Dec 2012 she was diagnosed with Pulmonary hypertension, A fib in April 2013, CHF in August 2013, she spent a week at this time in the hospital and again in October with a :flare up" and just this month with Acute Kidney Failure. She is on three different diuretics to keep the fluids off of her. Could her kidney function decrease rapidly? She is wondering how long she might have.

mrscora01 responded:
Doctor's don't often say that it's "acute" kidney failure, as most often it's chronic. This implies (although there are no guarantees) that her kidney function may improve significantly.

Yes, it is possible for kidney function to take a nose dive but when they say "acute", sometimes it returns to where it was before. There is no real way to tell though. It may or may not improve. You just have to wait and see.

As for how long she might have, in part that depends on her. If things don't improve, is she willing to look at the options of dialysis and/or transplant? You don't mention what her creatinine is right now. Is she in hospital? How old is she? I had a lovely lady beside me in dialysis who was in her 80s and did quite well.

Sorry I can't answer your questions clearly. Give a few more details. I hope your Mom does ok.

Cora

zachnate67 replied to mrscora01's response:
Cora,

Thank you. Her nephrologist said Acute Kidney Failure. He told us that very soon she would have to go dialysis. Her creatinine level on 11/13 were 2.4 and on 11/18 she was at 2.3. She has another blood test tomorrow. They check her levels every two weeks. She also has her hemoglobin check as she was severely anemic on 11/13 as well. She is so tired of being poked and prodded that she won't do dialysis and her nephrologist said she is not a candidate for transplant. She is not in the hospital at this time. She is 74 and been a diabetic since she was 52.
Her heart doctor this week cut her bumetadine in half, she is on three different diuretics to keep her from retaining water. She said that she is peeing better than before. Could backing off half on one diuretics help her?

Thank you for anything answer you can give me.

Michelle

mrscora01 replied to zachnate67's response:
Hi Zach. Is she closely following a renal diet? I know it's not fun, but will definitely help her feel well and keep the fluid off. Especially cutting back on salt and processed foods.

As for when she will go on dialysis, they don't really know. They never do and just give you a guess. My center doesn't even begin teaching about options until your creatinine hits about 3.5 or so. Granted, I am considerably tougher (and maybe a bit stupider) than most, but I didn't go on until I hit about 10.

Backing off on the diuretic can help the cr. levels. It puts less pressure on the kidneys. As long as her bp remains ok, that is a good thing.

I know she is tired. I've been there. But remind her of all the good things in her life (like you!). Dialysis can be ok. I especially preferred peritoneal dialysis which can be done overnight at home. It's not as pushed in the US as it is in Canada (we invented it). It is seen a bit as "third world" option and doesn't earn as much money too.

Feel free to keep asking questions.

Best of luck to you and your Mom.

Cora

Spotlight: Member Stories

I was diagnosed with 31% kidney function due to chronic kidney disease about 6 weeks ago. I have been taking Zemplar, iron, and monthly calcium. I als...More

Helpful Tips

QUESTION
MY DAUGHTER WAS JUST DIAGONSED WITH KINDEY FAILURE LAST YEAR SHE IS ALMOST 5 YEARS OLD AND I WAS WONDERING SHE HAS A BACTERIAL INFECTION IS ... More
Was this Helpful?
1 of 2 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.