Skip to content

Announcements

Have you had a kidney transplant or are waiting for one? Then visit the Organ Transplant Community and the Diabetes and Kidney Community to share your experiences with other community members!

Are you newly diagnosed? Use the WebMD search engine to read articles like Understanding Kidney Disease.
Kidney 17% function
pat1966 posted:
My sister is 73 years old & her kidney function is only 17% combined.
She had a heart attack 8 days ago & is still in hospital with IV"s for fluids and medicines. She has a hard time swallowing anything at this point, she is so weak. She has also developed congestive heart and is retaining fluids. The doctor said she has some damage to the wall of the heart and also a leaking valve in her heart. Can someone please tell us what we may be going through with her?

john-skpt responded:
We really need to look at the numbers over a longer period of time, years or decades. The current number could be shifted down by the heart attack and some temporary reduction of blood flow to the kidneys.

However since Congestive Heart Failure generally develops over a long span of time, and since it can reduce cardiac output, the kidney function might have been declining over a long time as the heart weakened.

Kidneys are probably the most blood-dependent organs in the body, they demand a huge blood supply constantly. If heart of vascular function declines, then the kidneys are almost certain to suffer to one degree or another. Ask the doctors on the case for their opinion since they have all the current data on the patient's history and condition.

pat1966 replied to john-skpt's response:
Thank you John for answering my question. My sister has had chronic kidney disease since early childhood. She was in the hospital one week before the heart attack with a bad urinary track infection, Was sent home with antibiotics for that on Wed. Was taken back to hospital on Sunday when they discovered she had a heart attack. She is too weak for any correction to the heart, she has a leaking valve and congestive heart now. The doctor is hoping he can release her to an extended care facility about 5 minutes from hospital so she can get stronger and hopefully go home. I am just afraid at 86 lbs. her chances for another heart are too great. What do you think. I realize this is just you opinion. Thanks for your help.

john-skpt replied to pat1966's response:
I wish that I could say something specific, but cardiac stuff is a bit out of my range. And when you begin to combine a couple of complications, only the folks with all of the data at their fingertips can even start to get close to a solution.

I just can't make any solid guesses. Sorry.

Spotlight: Member Stories

Hello i'm a 23year old young woman from Texas. I had my last kidney transplant in June 2006 has been successful with no complications. This was my...More

Helpful Tips

I have a uti and severe kidney pain, Is this common?
I have a uti and such bad kidney pain that I can hardly move, I cant bend down and it hurts more than I can explain. the pain comes and ... More
Was this Helpful?
0 of 0 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.