Skip to content

Announcements

Have you had a kidney transplant or are waiting for one? Then visit the Organ Transplant Community and the Diabetes and Kidney Community to share your experiences with other community members!

Are you newly diagnosed? Use the WebMD search engine to read articles like Understanding Kidney Disease.
Can strenuous activity create a stone?
armyjohn posted:
Recently, I took part in an adventure race called Tough Mudder. Eight months prior to that, I trained for strength and endurance so I can be more prepared. One day after the race, I took myself to the ER because of intense lower back/front side pain. CT scan showed a 3mm kidney stone. I was also dehydrated from the race and had Rhabdomyolysis, which I would consider moderate to severe. To combat that, I went through about 14 IV bags. After which, my strength returned. I managed to pass the stone later.
My question is, is it possible that this very strenuous activity coupled with dehydration, create a kidney stone a day later?

john-skpt responded:
I think that drawing a direct link between physical activity and stone formation is not quite accurate.

But an indirect link is very possible: a lot of muscle movement could easily cause a previously unnoticed stone to shift position and suddenly become very painful. It may have been there for a long long time and was just hanging out in a place where it wasn't pressing on tissue or wasn't blocking urine outflow.

A second thing that you mention may also have had an effect: dehydration. Kidneys are the happiest when there is a LOT of fluid for them to work with. The sudden severe dehydration may not have been a cause, but even slight dehydration over the long term can often lead to stone formation. Several studies have shown that modern diets and lifestyles create slight to moderate dehydration in the vast majority of modern humans.

armyjohn replied to john-skpt's response:
Thank you for your response sir! It makes sense as I took some pretty hard bumps that day. Lot's of jiggling around.
The main stone was rusty orange brown in color and rough in texture but not jagged. Fragments were same color. It had a hardness to it as rattled in the container.
I am 44 years old and in pretty decent shape, but I do find it harder to keep hydrated these days as compared to when I was young and athletic. Best regards to you.

Spotlight: Member Stories

I am 43 years old, have 2 beautiful children, 4 resuced kitties, and just remarried to a wonderful man. I have been very sick and unable to work since...More

Helpful Tips

FLUID INTAKE AND CKD.
If I have CKD, should I limit my fluid intake, or increase it ? More
Was this Helpful?
0 of 0 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.