Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up

Announcements

Have you had a kidney transplant or are waiting for one? Then visit the Organ Transplant Community and the Diabetes and Kidney Community to share your experiences with other community members!

Are you newly diagnosed? Use the WebMD search engine to read articles like Understanding Kidney Disease.
Sharp kidney pain when urinating
An_257273 posted:
Having occasional severe sharp kidney pain only when urinating. I
CT scan showed no kidney stones, only a small 7mm common cyst which according to my doctor shouldn't cause symptoms.
Urine tests showed no sign of infection or blood cells.
Kidney is not sensitive to pressure or physical touch/probing.
Blood tests all normal for kidney function as well as everything else.

My doctor's only advice was "Drink a lot of water." which I've been doing for a month, but I'm still (seemingly randomly) having severe pain.

Any ideas what could be the cause?

john-skpt responded:
You might want to ask a board certified urologist. I'm wondering if this might not be 'referred' or 'transferred' pain.

There are a LOT of structures in the abdomen, and some are on top of, or overlapping other structures. In some cases, a pain can arise from a source that is some distance from where it seems to be, due to the complicated way that the nervous system wraps around things. (For example, a slight upward pressure on the diaphragm, say, from an air bubble, can cause pain that seems to be in the upper chest, neck, or upper arm. I know that it seems weird but it is quite possible.)

ccrosthwaite54 replied to john-skpt's response:
This is so true!
Last year I ended up in the ER for severe abdominal pain and vomiting. I thought I was having an appendicidis attack. After a quick ultrasound and pain meds, I was told that they couldn't find anything on my right side. I was asked if they could do a full abdominal scan with contrast (which I consented to). Wasn't I surprised to learn that NOTHING showed up on the right side where all the pain was, however, on the left side I had a 4.5 centimeter mass on my left kidney and a 1.7 centimeter stone in the same kidney. I asked my urologist about this and he said the same thing that you have posted. Truthfully, I probably wouldn't have rushed to the ER with pain in my left side because I wouldn't have thought it was very serious. Everything happens for a reason! But please believe this because it reallly does happen...it happened to me.

Spotlight: Member Stories

I am experiencing pain in my left side after a grueling 12 hour drive. The car was not user friendly. Could this be a brusied kidney?

Helpful Tips

I have a uti and severe kidney pain, Is this common?
I have a uti and such bad kidney pain that I can hardly move, I cant bend down and it hurts more than I can explain. the pain comes and ... More
Was this Helpful?
0 of 0 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.