Skip to content

Announcements

Have you had a kidney transplant or are waiting for one? Then visit the Organ Transplant Community and the Diabetes and Kidney Community to share your experiences with other community members!

Are you newly diagnosed? Use the WebMD search engine to read articles like Understanding Kidney Disease.
RE: Is it unusual for a patient to be tag-teamed before surgery?
william5401 posted:
I will be having surgery in two days to remove a size 6mm kidney stone. When I got the letter informing me of my surgery, my case was assigned to a new urologist. My appointment with her was made at the same time. I assumed that she would be doing the surgery on me.

My medical plan is an HMO type through Kaiser Permanente.

When the urologist came in to see me, she told me that another urologist would be performing the surgery on me. This urologist will be visiting me at my bedside in the pre-op wing prior to me being wheeled into the operating room. She will also see me two weeks later for a post-op appointment.

I don't know why I am being tag-teamed, but this to me, is unusual. Is this the way an HMO organization works?

missysimba responded:
That is done sometimes. Could be that the 1st urologist that you saw doesn't do a lot of kidney stone surgeries. When that is the case the urologist will have another urologist who has more experience with that type of surgery perform the surgery. Are they going through your back or up the penis.?

william5401 replied to missysimba's response:
It was done through the penis. The urologist got all the stone blasted with the help of a camera. Amazing what technology does for a patient these days, right?

beenblessed_nana replied to william5401's response:
Glad to hear that its all over with and all is well.

It is entirely possible that the first doctor wasn't under your plan and the second doctor was. That was a good thing for you!

In either case, thank God you were well taken care of and are on the mend... considering this was posted a month ago, I assume that you are back to living your life as fully as possible!

God bless you!

william5401 replied to beenblessed_nana's response:
Yes, I am much better. No more stone(s) to worry about

Thanks.

Spotlight: Member Stories

I am a 29 year old mother of two young children. I was diagnosed after I had an emergency surgery to remove my gallbladder. They diagnosed me with MSK...More

Helpful Tips

I have a uti and severe kidney pain, Is this common?
I have a uti and such bad kidney pain that I can hardly move, I cant bend down and it hurts more than I can explain. the pain comes and ... More
Was this Helpful?
0 of 0 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.