Skip to content

Announcements

Have you had a kidney transplant or are waiting for one? Then visit the Organ Transplant Community and the Diabetes and Kidney Community to share your experiences with other community members!

Are you newly diagnosed? Use the WebMD search engine to read articles like Understanding Kidney Disease.
Removing kidney stents
william5401 posted:
After I had surgery to remove a kidney stone and a stent was placed inside me, I am to see the urologist for a post-op appointment to remove the stent.

Is that procedure done through a local or general anesthetic? How long does it usually take for that to be done?

ccrosthwaite54 responded:
My urologist used a numbing gel, but it was still a bit uncomfortable when he actually pulled it out. Expect some pain and bleeding for at least a few days. If you have some pain medications you might want to take them. Ask your doctor. If you had a lithotripsy (blasting), expect to pass more stone fragments after the stent is removed.
I was told that women usually handle it better than men because the stent is pulled for a shorter distance, but everyone is different when it comes to handling pain.
They usually insert a camera after the numbing gel, then grasp the end of the stent and gently pull it out. It's over in just a minute. If you work, you might want to take a few days off. You might experience some pain for several days because the ureter spasms and you'll probably feel it. I wasn't told this when my procedure was done, but I wished they would have told me! The spasms lasted for about a week.
The wondering and waiting for the appointment is usually worse than dealing with the procedure itself. I know I nearly drove myself crazy. I read all I could about it, but that scared the crap out of me. I was glad that my urologist decided not to insert another one for a third lithotripsy.
Good luck!

An_257872 replied to ccrosthwaite54's response:
My goodness, you've had your shares of kidney stones much more than me. Thanks for the information so I know what to expect. I suppose everybody is different from another. It will be curious to see how I will be when the stents gets removed from me.

Spotlight: Member Stories

About Me: I'm a wife and a mom. Why I came to WebMD: To become a better informed health consumer. I'm a baby boomer facing the same cha...More

Helpful Tips

QUESTION
MY DAUGHTER WAS JUST DIAGONSED WITH KINDEY FAILURE LAST YEAR SHE IS ALMOST 5 YEARS OLD AND I WAS WONDERING SHE HAS A BACTERIAL INFECTION IS ... More
Was this Helpful?
1 of 2 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.