Skip to content

Announcements

Have you had a kidney transplant or are waiting for one? Then visit the Organ Transplant Community and the Diabetes and Kidney Community to share your experiences with other community members!

Are you newly diagnosed? Use the WebMD search engine to read articles like Understanding Kidney Disease.
calcification outside the kidney
walgreentech posted:
I have a xray done on my lower back to check for disc space due to back pain. Report states a small calcification was found outside the kidney. Has anyone heard of this and/or know possibly what this means?

john-skpt responded:
It's not clear what this might be. Calcifications can occur in any soft tissue of the body: muscle, arteries and veins, lungs, virtually anywhere that blood flows.

Since the radiologist specifies that it is "outside" the kidney, it could be a cyst, maybe an old granuloma, some random bit of scar tissue.

It's interesting that no size is specified. This might suggest that it is too tiny to be of any significance. I mean, it could be the size of a head of a pin, or it could be as large as a pingpong ball. Who knows? It may take a more extensive test like a CT or MRI to get more info.

I'd say ask your doc to take a look at the images and give you an opinion.

Spotlight: Member Stories

I was diagnosed with type 1 diabetes in 1966. In the 70s I was told I had protein in my urine and that I would be on dialysis soon. I eventually did e...More

Helpful Tips

I have a uti and severe kidney pain, Is this common?
I have a uti and such bad kidney pain that I can hardly move, I cant bend down and it hurts more than I can explain. the pain comes and ... More
Was this Helpful?
0 of 0 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.