Skip to content

Announcements

Have you had a kidney transplant or are waiting for one? Then visit the Organ Transplant Community and the Diabetes and Kidney Community to share your experiences with other community members!

Are you newly diagnosed? Use the WebMD search engine to read articles like Understanding Kidney Disease.
Scared and very sad...
verysadgirl posted:
My story. I'm a 32 year old very healthy woman. No family history of kidney disease. In February of 2014 I became pregnant with my first child. At 16 weeks I tested positive for some protein in my urine at a routine check up. My blood work came back normal. I had a urinalysis done. My OB said my protein levels were higher than normal but not by very much. She referred me to a nephrologist anyways I think she was being cautious because I was pregnant etc.... Well, that's what she said anyways.
Due to an totally unrelated and completely random fetal condition I ended up losing my baby at 23 weeks and missing my neph appointment. It's been very hard. I am here not asking about that though.
A few days after I lost my baby my OB phoned me to tell me that I should still follow up with the nephrologist just to make sure there isn't any sort of underlying condition that could impact plans we make to try again. So l did.
The appointment with my neph was 10 days after I delivered. I had a urinalysis and blood work done that day. At that time there was still some "low grade" protein in my urine according to my neph. My kidney function is fine she said. She said that the level is very minimal right now and she is not concerned. But she wants to follow up in 8 weeks to look for causes if it does not go away on its own. She mentioned that it might just disappear and stressed that she will only really be concerned if it increases. She said she would watch me closely for this.
It's hard to be positive after everything that's happened. I find it hard to believe that there is ANY level of protein in my urine that my neph would be OK with. I also find it really hard to believe it will just go away on its own. I don't think she is deliberately misleading me. Maybe just sort of easing me into the diagnosis of CKD or something else
given the circumstances and my recent loss.
On the bright side it seems as if anything that I do have is being caught at very early stages. I guess that's a good thing. I'm trying to remind myself that getting a diagnosis is good because it means it can be treated. Everything I've read says that early detection is key. With proper management and lifestyle some people may never get to ESRF. My neph told me straight away I can get pregnant again and that this level of protein can be easily managed so that I can have a healthy pregnancy.
It's so scary when I think about it. I'm scared of the weeks of tests etc... leading up to diagnosis. I'm scared of the diagnosis. I'm scared that despite my beat efforts I will not be able to manage this. I am scared that I've lost both my baby and my health. I am scared I'll have to stop doing the things I love. I did a full Iron Man 2 years ago. I always wanted to do another one. I love running and doing triathlons and working out. Is long distance running bad for your kidneys? I really don't want to give that up. Also I'm so sad for what this could mean to my husband. I want him to be happy and have beautiful healthy babies like he deserves. If I can't give them to him I don't know how I will ever be able to live with that guilt. I love him so much.

Everything is just so awful right now.

What would you do if you were me?

chesica21 responded:
Take a breath. Even with kidney problems you can still have healthy children. I have a 4yr old & a 5 monthold, both girls, and I had "slightly elevated protein levels" with both pregnancies. But stressing yourself out deffinately won't help. Get together with your OB/GYN and your nephrologist and get a plan started for your next pregnancy. All you can do is your best.

john-skpt responded:
As the previous comment suggested: Chill.

I really think that the stress of losing the baby is affecting your perceptions a little bit; that is totally understandable. And the stress, perhaps depression, can be affecting your physical health as well.

Pregnancy is a huge stress on the body and on all its systems. Changes to renal function are not at all unusual during and after a pregnancy.

Nephrologsts are not risk takers: they have seen too many cases to assume that there is ever a predictable pattern that fits every patient. So they tend to be very, very cautious doctors.

I'm male not female, but I'd say to have a bit of faith in the nephrologist, and give your body another 6 to 12 months to reset itself, realign, and recover.

There might indeed be a slight bit of residual damage to the protein capturing function of the kidneys, but it is too soon to know that. And even if some change did occur, if it is minimal and stays that way, then it should pose no long term problem.

An extra note: never have blood tests done within a day or two of a strenuous workout like a triathlon or even a 500k. The lab values will be so out of whack that the results are invalid. And I would hope that you are not hooked on extremely high-protein diets or supplements like whey protein or creatine monohydrate. These substances will at least screw up lab test numbers and possible can cause long term and irreversible renal damage.

verysadgirl replied to john-skpt's response:
Thank you both for your kind replies, I really appreciate it. It is true I'm having trouble being calm. Some of it could be postpartum hormones, I think. But I am legitimately concerned even though my nephrologist said not to be right now. I wish I knew some of my numbers, that would probably help characterize my situation. The only number I know is the results from my 24 hr urine collection (during pregnancy at 16 weeks). There was 0.22g of protein and my doctor said it should never be more than 0.15g. After this I was referred to the Nephrologist. When I had blood work done with her (Nephrologist) she contacted me afterwards via email because I was out of town so I didn't get a chance to talk to her face to face.

The other thing I found out is that my Dad has had albumin (??) in his urine for 20 years but has never had any decrease in kidney function and is monitored regularly. He is 64 years old and also on medication for blood pressure and high cholesterol, although I do think a lot of that has to do with diet and life style, he has been obese and inactive for as long as I can remember. I think I will mention this to my Nephrologist the next time I see her.

Anyways, no I don't use whey products when I train or ever for that matter. I cut all dairy out of my life in August 2013. My husband is a sponsored triathlete and firefighter who has been on a completely plant based diet for years and loves it so he makes all of our training fuel at home from scratch. He is very conscious about obtaining all nutrients that can be found in animal sources but from plant based sources only. All the fuel we use for training is completely plant based. When we're feeling lazy there are some vegan training fuel brands we like too. I could never fully commit to a vegan diet before because I loved bacon and sushi too much. But now I think I might asking my Nephrologist about it the next time I see her.

Spotlight: Member Stories

I was diagnosed with 31% kidney function due to chronic kidney disease about 6 weeks ago. I have been taking Zemplar, iron, and monthly calcium. I als...More

Helpful Tips

Nephrotic Syndrome
My daughter,13 years old, was diagnosed this May with Nephrotic Syndrome. She never had any problems then all the sudden, her ankle swelled ... More
Was this Helpful?
15 of 26 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.