Skip to content

Announcements

Have you had a kidney transplant or are waiting for one? Then visit the Organ Transplant Community and the Diabetes and Kidney Community to share your experiences with other community members!

Are you newly diagnosed? Use the WebMD search engine to read articles like Understanding Kidney Disease.
Well it happened, now what
kirbyboy posted:
Hi everyone, I have been on here a few times re my husband, his GFR and fistula advice. The end of May the GFR was 22. Creatine was 3.00. Now yesterday's blood test says GFR is 19, creatine is 3.3. So it's happened like some of you have said sooner than later. The fistula is scheduled for Aug 28th. Though we knew the dialysis would be coming I think he was holding out for later vs sooner. He wanted to get some jobs in before he got the fistula and couldn't lift the heavy things he does. He is diabetic, and has changed his diet a lot since may, blood sugar is doing really well, and blood pressure. But still it happened and he feels like it was all for nothing. Can you guys relate? At this rate of the level dropping from 22 to 19 in 2 mo I'm sure he will see dialysis sooner. Here is my question, is it really hard to learn the dialysis at home? Why does from what I have learned thru you all, does insurance only do 3 x a week at a dialysis center? Not 6 days etc? Does that mean we pay for the extra? Does anyone have medical or kaiser or another insurance like covered cal or Obama care etc and if so how is it working for your care. Again thank you. Having this forum to ask questions is so comforting dayna

mrscora01 responded:
So sorry. We've been there. The good news is that there is life after dialysis starts. Some people do continue to work. But the transition is hard and requires some mental adjustment. And it also takes some time to get the prescription right. It's just like taking a med, you have to find the right "dosages". Here's hoping things remain stable for a while.

Sorry, I just went on a ramble about peritoneal dialysis and then remembered you talked about a fistula. So I deleted the irrelevant stuff. As for whether or not home hemo is covered, I have no clue as I am Canadian. But had several friends doing it and if you can get it, I would suggest that you go for it. It is considered the next best thing to a transplant. Virtually no dietary restrictions and you feel almost normal. One friend could walk around the block while on in-center hemo and on home hemo he was biking about 20 miles per day. With that said, it's not easy and requires quite a bit of training. But from the sound of it, your husband is a competent individual and should be able to handle it.

Cora

Spotlight: Member Stories

I was diagnosed with 31% kidney function due to chronic kidney disease about 6 weeks ago. I have been taking Zemplar, iron, and monthly calcium. I als...More

Helpful Tips

I have a uti and severe kidney pain, Is this common?
I have a uti and such bad kidney pain that I can hardly move, I cant bend down and it hurts more than I can explain. the pain comes and ... More
Was this Helpful?
0 of 0 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.