Skip to content

Announcements

Have you had a kidney transplant or are waiting for one? Then visit the Organ Transplant Community and the Diabetes and Kidney Community to share your experiences with other community members!

Are you newly diagnosed? Use the WebMD search engine to read articles like Understanding Kidney Disease.
foam in urine
tuck508 posted:
Can someone please explain to me what foamy urine looks like? I am trying to discern if I have normal bubbles or true foam.

John-SKPT responded:
If the proteinuria is light, you might not be seeing 'foam'. It would often look like very slightly soapy water that had been frothed up. But the froth wouldn't last as long as soap; it will stay for a while, but not like soap suds. (This is a weird example but it is as close as I can get: have you ever opened a can of beans and rinsed them off in a strainer? That is exactly what it looks like, though an extreme version. The water in the can gets pretty rich with the protein from the beans that have been pressure cooked in it. There is some starch too so it looks a bit worse than what you'd see in urine, but that's pretty close/)

Spotlight: Member Stories

I am a 38 year old male who was recently diagnosed with a mobile kidney. My right kidney is fully mobile. When I am lying down it is where it should b...More

Helpful Tips

Nephrotic Syndrome
My daughter,13 years old, was diagnosed this May with Nephrotic Syndrome. She never had any problems then all the sudden, her ankle swelled ... More
Was this Helpful?
15 of 26 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.