Skip to content

Announcements

Have you had a kidney transplant or are waiting for one? Then visit the Organ Transplant Community and the Diabetes and Kidney Community to share your experiences with other community members!

Are you newly diagnosed? Use the WebMD search engine to read articles like Understanding Kidney Disease.
Glom Filt rate est
jogg63ing posted:
Just wondering ...blood test results from a routine physical, the test results say Glom Filt rate est was low at 59. It should be 59 or over. This is the first time I have seen this type of test on my results and my doctor is not concerned. Everything else was good except my Vitamin D level was low so I have to take a supplement and cholesterol is a little high but I will have another test in four months after modifying my diet with the help of a nutritionist Also I may have torn my meniscus running and I was taking Motrin for the pain before my blood test. Could this make the Glom rate lower? Thank you very much

John-SKPT responded:
Let's start out with the "estimates": they are quick and convenient mathematical calculations based almost entirely on serum creatinine level. So since serum creatinine is quite variable (due to medications, age, hydration, body mass, and gender) the estimated GFR is quite flexible. The true GFR always declines a bit with age, and serum creatinine can be higher for men, people with a large muscle mass, people who are slightly dehydrated (as in fasting since midnight for other blood tests, and medications like motrin/ibuprofen or Aleve/naproxen.). Those reference ranges are generally based on a 30 year old, 150 pound, medium build male. So 1% (or 1 ml/min) is really an insignificant difference, it's within the lacceptable margin for error of the test. What was the serum creatinine level from the blood tests? What was the BUN or Urea level? Are you taking any other meds or supplements? I wouldn't really sweat it on the basis of one single test, but I would suggest that you try to stay away from ibuprofen or naproxen pain relievers. One or two every few months won't hurt most people, but in higher doses or with prolonged use, the drugs are nephrotoxic. Acetaminophen is a far safer drug.

jogg63ing responded:
Thank you John. I now know that Tylenol or Acetaminophen is much safer......I guess when you are in pain you are not really thinking what products like Motrin can do to you. I have been taking aspirin and Tylenol as needed until I see what this painful swollen knee is about tomorrow on the MRI. I am on Metropolo generic for Toprol for HB 50mg...............for almosts two years now. Creatine Serum was 0.95 which my doctor said was good. Bun was 12 and she said fine too. So I guess she was right when she said she was the doctor and that she is watching out for me. lol Yes I fasted for or a long time because I did not have blood drawn until 12 Noon! I guess I will stop worrying so much and let my doctor do the worrying. Right? Thank you again. It helps to know more about this test..never heard or had it until this year? Also this is exactly why I hate to go for routine physicals They always come across something as you get older! lol

John-SKPT responded:
I still think that it's valid to question or challenge or at least to stay on top of what doctors say and do. (I have had a couple in the past that said the "let me worry about it" thing, and in two cases, they just didn't do enough when they had the chance.) But I've seen serum creatinine jump up by 0.3-0.5 mg/dL or even more just from the patient being dried out. Get the patient hydrated and retest, and it drops back. An occasional ibuprofen won't hurt, but there are a lot of folks who take those things nearly every day, two or three times a day without really having any need to. Chronic arthritis patients may really NEED to place an added load on the kidneys from pain killers just to get by, but a whole lot of folks just pop them like candy without considering the potential problems). Metoprolol is a good drug but don't be surprised if eventually your doc might want to swap to an ACE inhibitor BP drug; the crucial thing with kidneys is to keep the BP down, but the ACE inhibitors and Angiotensin Receptor Blockers have shown really strong protective effects even in normotensive renal patients. Sounds like you're doing stuff right though. Keeping the cardiovascular system in shape is the single best thing for kidney health.

Spotlight: Member Stories

About Me: I'm a wife and a mom. Why I came to WebMD: To become a better informed health consumer. I'm a baby boomer facing the same cha...More

Helpful Tips

Support group for Kidney Disease.
Hi Everyone, I was diagnosed with Medullary Sponge Kidney 8 years ago.. recently I had joined a support group that has been great and I am ... More
Was this Helpful?
1 of 1 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.