Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up

Announcements

Have you had a kidney transplant or are waiting for one? Then visit the Organ Transplant Community and the Diabetes and Kidney Community to share your experiences with other community members!

Are you newly diagnosed? Use the WebMD search engine to read articles like Understanding Kidney Disease.
Circumaortic/Retroaortic left renal
4rabbits posted:
Can anyone tell me what a circumaortic/retroaortic left renal vein is? This showed up on my MRI test and I'm curious. I can't find much on the internet other than it is some type of defect.

John-SKPT responded:
The two real veins normally empty into the inferior vena cava, essentially the venous counterpart to the aorta.

circumaortic would indicate a renal vein that sort of loops across the aorta instead of going straight to the inferior vena cava, and retroaortic would indicate a renal vein that passes behind the aorta.

That's the anatomy. I cannot tell you what, if any, medical complications might arise from this configuration. I suspect that if the affected renal vein is otherwise normal and is not being compressed by any other structure, then it is just a thing worth noting and has no real medical significance.

Radiologists generally report EVERYTHING that they see in a set of images, even if it is medically insignificant.

An_254469 replied to John-SKPT's response:
I have the same thing. Does anyone know the medical significance of this?

Spotlight: Member Stories

i have just been diagnosed with kidney disease(Interstitial Nephritis)i also suffer from CFS/ME ,i am aged 50yrs work as a support worker part time,go...More

Helpful Tips

Pain in my sides and lower back?
For about a week I have had some discomfort in my lower back, and the sides of my lower back, and it also feels internal. The past 2 days ... More
Was this Helpful?
15 of 25 found this helpful

Related News

Report Problems to the
Food and Drug Administration

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.