Skip to content

Announcements

Have you had a kidney transplant or are waiting for one? Then visit the Organ Transplant Community and the Diabetes and Kidney Community to share your experiences with other community members!

Are you newly diagnosed? Use the WebMD search engine to read articles like Understanding Kidney Disease.
protein in urine
jularnold posted:
my doctor is concerned about my kidneys because of the protein levels in my urine. I have had ultrasounds on kidneys. they were the same size but the protein count was still high in urine test. is there something in my diet that could be affecting the level of protein in my urine. I've had friends die from this and am just a little worried. the doctor said he's going to check it in three months. is this a normal protocol? I want to live to see my grand kids grow up. what, if any thing, can I do?

John-SKPT responded:
An EXTREMELY high protein diet can--over time--damage kidneys. So can high cholesterol, frequent use of Advil/Motrin/ibuprofen or naproxen pain relievers, so can various auto immune diseases. So can high blood presure and diabetes. So it might be diet, but that's probably lower on the list than most of the others. Checking again in three months is not unusual, as long as he is doing a more accurate test than the dipstick tests that doc's tend to use routinely on otherwise healthy people. The doc should at least be looking at a protein:creatinine ratio test from a first morning void urine, or a timed collection like a 24 hour urine test. Either of these would more accurately show whether the condition is progressive or stable. If there is a significant change over the next year, you should demand a referral to a nephrologist.

jularnold responded:
Thanks for your input and suggestions. the doctor did do a 24 hour urine test and that came back with the high protein also. The check in three months he said will be the same. I am the opposite of a diabetic-hypoglycemic- so I wonder if they are just to closely related that I have a problem. I'll know in three months. Thanks again for info.

John-SKPT responded:
Well, the 24 hour urine is the gold standard for this. I'm not sure what the number was but technically over 150 mg is "kinda high", over 1,500 mg is "significantly high" but these numbers can go up to 5,000, 7,000, 14,000 mg per day. So there is a very wide range that we have to work with. If yours is somewhere between 150 and 1500 mg/24 hours, then there really isn't a lot that you can do beside watch it over a long time span. If it is over 1500 but not extremely high, then your doctor might, after a couple more tests, decide to try and ACE inhibitor or angiotensin receptor blocker. These drugs are normally used for high blood pressure. But they also habe a way of stabilizing, or slowing the progression of proteinuria. Even when used in doses too small to really change BP a lot, they help kidneys. Unfortunately, I just don't know what else to say until you get new test results. Just try not to obsess about it too much: stress isn't any good for anybody.

jularnold responded:
thanks for your support and I will check on the exact number.

wendy381970 responded:
John, You sure do know alot about the kidney and it is really appreicated from the gerenal public. :smile:

John-SKPT responded:
I've been dealing with doctors steadily since age 9; you can pick up a lot of information over 30+ yerars.

billyowens responded:
what was the numerical reading of your protein in urine? Thanks,

Spotlight: Member Stories

I am 43 years old, have 2 beautiful children, 4 resuced kitties, and just remarried to a wonderful man. I have been very sick and unable to work since...More

Helpful Tips

I have a uti and severe kidney pain, Is this common?
I have a uti and such bad kidney pain that I can hardly move, I cant bend down and it hurts more than I can explain. the pain comes and ... More
Was this Helpful?
0 of 0 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.