Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up

Announcements

Have you had a kidney transplant or are waiting for one? Then visit the Organ Transplant Community and the Diabetes and Kidney Community to share your experiences with other community members!

Are you newly diagnosed? Use the WebMD search engine to read articles like Understanding Kidney Disease.
Black Specks In Urine?
OceanManwithnoplan posted:
Hello I am a 21 year old man who is 6'7" and is generally healthy. I have recently, within the past year, have been experiencing pain in the back (from directly below the ribs in the back and front to about the middle of the ribs). I also have been experiencing extremely high blood pressure reading typically around 160/85 when ever I do get a chance to check via moniter at publix and/or at home as well.This pain I was describing earlier is not excrutiating and I can manage to conduct my day to day activities with little trouble from the area, but it is still existant and still an annoyance. On top of this I have been noticing large amount of black specks in my urine. It can be as much the entire bowl looking like I sprinkled pepper all over to merely a few specks here and there depending on the situation I guess.This has been happening since about March. I have also notice that it doesn't happen if I am standing while urinating and tends to appear when I have an erection and urinate, morning pees. Also it doesn't always hurt when I do urinate, mostly doesn't, but occasionally it will and when it does it doesn't always have black specks in the urine either. When I did strain a little of the urine to examine the black specks I was able to smear it somewhat and it was black not red which I thought at first it might be dried up blood. But I am utterly confused. I would go see a doctor, if I had the money to do so and the insurance as well. I really would like some input if anyone out there knows what I could possibly be going through so I can talk to my parents and give them an idea so that they can help me; hopefully. I would greatly appreciate any feedback what so ever.

John-SKPT responded:
I haven't yet got any idea what the dark material might be, I would also have suspected dried blood, but I really think that the blood pressure needs to be looked at fairly soon. Not sure of your location, but there are a few free or minimal cost clinics in most areas of the country. It's a matter of finding one and being prepared to spend a good while waiting to be seen. I'll try to do a little research on the black specks later, but I haven't really run into that before now.

John-SKPT responded:
It's really very uncertain, but the fact that you have pain in the approximate area of kidneys/ureters, and the fact that you are seeing these specks might well indicate that you have or are developing kidney stones. Little flecks can be crystals in urine, though the very dark color that you report is a little unusual. Not unheard of but not that common. And while this 'urinary sand' is often rather sharp-edged and painful to pass, I did find a few references to cases where it was smooth-edged and passed without any bleeding or pain. I still think that you need to ask a doctor to be sure that it is nothing else.

mssuz responded:
Oceanman, There's tens of thousands of families (registered at the MRF) Morgellons Research Foundation, because we too have the same thing happening. Black specks coming out of our skin also, and every where else. This is presently under study with the CDC who's been teamed up with Kaiser Permanente Northern CA, as well as AFIP (Armed Forces Institute of Pathology). If you google: CDC and Morgellons, you can follow their latest update, which was in Nov 2009. Presently to date, the BSC (Board of Scientific Counselors) is preparing the report to be "released to medical establishments" but no one knows when. We are all holding our breath, because this is an insideous "contamination/infection/or disease". No one knows - but we're all seeing and having the same symptoms. This is also "global". It's been on the news because of the number of people infected (CNN, NBC, ABC, CBS, and Fox news)...but, to date, Morgellons etiology has not yet been established.

Spotlight: Member Stories

I am a 29 year old mother of two young children. I was diagnosed after I had an emergency surgery to remove my gallbladder. They diagnosed me with MSK...More

Helpful Tips

QUESTION
MY DAUGHTER WAS JUST DIAGONSED WITH KINDEY FAILURE LAST YEAR SHE IS ALMOST 5 YEARS OLD AND I WAS WONDERING SHE HAS A BACTERIAL INFECTION IS ... More
Was this Helpful?
1 of 2 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.