Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up

Announcements

Have you had a kidney transplant or are waiting for one? Then visit the Organ Transplant Community and the Diabetes and Kidney Community to share your experiences with other community members!

Are you newly diagnosed? Use the WebMD search engine to read articles like Understanding Kidney Disease.
creatinine/protein ratio UA
kay0922 posted:
I had a urine done a month ago and my ratio was elevated and so was the urine Creat/ protein..When it was repeated just today the creat and protein (ua) was much lower but the ratio stayed the same...I thought the creat and protien (ua) was a calculation that resulted in the ratio? Why wouldn't the ratio go down when everything else did? The ratio is1.7 it has been slowly climbing since about a year ago it started at 0.8..Thanks for any information you can give me..I do have Kidney Disease...

John-SKPT responded:
This test is really only reliably accurate if a 'first morning void" urine sample is tested. Otherwise the variations in protein and creatinine excretion throughout the day can vary widely. (That's why the 24 hour urine tests were originally used: to average out the variations that happen in the course of a day.)

The numbers that you quoted do seem to not add up, at least in as far as we know. The units expressed might vary from lab to lab. So we really need to look at the individual numbers that the calculations were derived from.

(Of course, "ratio" expresses a relationship between two numbers. For example, 2000 and 200 have a ratio of 10. But 50 and 5, though both are much smaller numbers, still show a ratio of 10. So the numbers might have been correct, just the way we are viewing them is not precise.)

Spotlight: Member Stories

Hello i'm a 23year old young woman from Texas. I had my last kidney transplant in June 2006 has been successful with no complications. This was my...More

Helpful Tips

contrast dye and polycystic kidney disease
Please do not have a CT scan with contrast dye if you have polycystic kidney disease. It is harmful and you can land up in the hospital ... More
Was this Helpful?
25 of 36 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.