Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up

Announcements

Have you had a kidney transplant or are waiting for one? Then visit the Organ Transplant Community and the Diabetes and Kidney Community to share your experiences with other community members!

Are you newly diagnosed? Use the WebMD search engine to read articles like Understanding Kidney Disease.
blood sugar
An_206650 posted:
Can high blood sugar cause protein to be in the urine?

John-SKPT responded:
If the blood glucose is elevated for a period of time, it can cause some damage to the kidneys, and urine protein is generally a very early symptom of this damage.

Other things can also cause it: high blood pressure, etc.

kay0922 replied to John-SKPT's response:
If you don't mind my asking.Before you had your transplant did you have hbp? If so, did the transplant resolve this issue for you?

MrsCora01 replied to kay0922's response:
Whether or not you get off of high blood pressure meds varies from person to person. I got off most of mine, but not all after my kidney transplant. I have friends who are off all meds, but some still require some intervention.

Cora

John-SKPT replied to kay0922's response:
The BP/transplant question is different for every patient. In my case the BP got a little better but not enough to stop all the BP drugs.

And some immunosuppressants also can raise BP. It's a careful balancing act in any case.

Spotlight: Member Stories

Our youngest son went to the er for a concusion and 8 hours later we were going through testing for his kidney. At first dr's thought after he hit...More

Helpful Tips

Nephrotic Syndrome
My daughter,13 years old, was diagnosed this May with Nephrotic Syndrome. She never had any problems then all the sudden, her ankle swelled ... More
Was this Helpful?
15 of 26 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.