Skip to content

Announcements

Have you had a kidney transplant or are waiting for one? Then visit the Organ Transplant Community and the Diabetes and Kidney Community to share your experiences with other community members!

Are you newly diagnosed? Use the WebMD search engine to read articles like Understanding Kidney Disease.
creatinine level
diitto posted:
Hi... I have Renal Artery Stenosis of the right kidney, discovered in 2003. That kidney has shrunk away and the nephrologist decided long ago to let it go (not enough function remaining to make it worth trying to open the artery... Before fading away that right kidney drove my blood pressure to toxic levels (220/135) which did some damage to the left kidney and we have been carefully monitoring function since...

A couple of years ago, the blood chemistry lab my doctor uses changed the limits for serum creatinine from old limits of 0.8 - 1.3 mg/dL to new limits of 0.61 - 1.24 mg/dL? (mean shifted down from 1.05 to 0.93 and entire range made a little bit larger, old range of 0.5 increased to 0.63)

When the old limits were in place, my creatinine ran between 1.3 and 1.6? When the new limits went into effect, for reasons unknown, my creatinine readings suddenly fell right into the middle of the new spec? So far so good I guess? I have now had four tests (about once every 6 months) against the new limits and those results have been (in chronological order)

0.96 mg/dL
0.91 mg/dL
1.08 mg/dL
1.16 mg/dL

Yesterday I got the 1.16 results and I asked the nephrologist if she was concerned about the last three readings having gone from 0.91 (great) to 18% higher for the 1.08 and then another 7% higher for today's 1.16 reading? After all, higher is not good?

She said she was NOT concerned, that changes of +/- 10% aren't really real (just within measurement error)... But she doesn't really stare at the numbers like I do... (She obviously sees these numbers a lot and makes quick judgements about what matters and what is within normal error bars). But note that the change a couple of tests ago from .91 to 1.08 certainly WAS greater than 10% (it was an 18% change)...

Anyway, does anyone have any thoughts about serum creatinine level changes like I am reporting here???? Any feedback would be much appreciated...

thanks.. bob...

magpieracer responded:
I have had 4 stents in my right renal artery. The last stent lasted 6 months. My right kidney is damaged and getting small. Do you think if you would had your right kidney out that your left kidney would be fine. I'm scared of my left kidney being damaged. My blood pressure just goes out of control and I do not do good with meds.What has been your feelings on your good kidney being damaged.
I would be worried if my levels went up. Why do the DRs act like it is nothing. I think I would get a second opinion.Sounds like it is not functioning as good as it was.

diitto replied to magpieracer's response:
By the time my right kidney showed that it was in trouble, by driving my blood pressure to very high levels, 220/135 over one day, the right kidney function had been reduced to 14% and my nephrologist said that was such a low level that it would not make sense to apply a stent to try to recover so little... But nor did they remove it... I was placed on blood pressure meds (2 different ones taken together) to keep the blood pressure in check... The kidney doc told me some folks required up to four meds to control the bp... She also told me my right kidney would, in time, stop trying to drive my blood pressure and that was what happened... I was on these two bp meds for a few months and then my bp settled back to normal... She still has me take a small dose of an Angiotensin Receptor Blocker because it is good for my other kidney (sort of relaxes it to extend its life)... And yes, it does appear my left kidney was somewhat damaged by my right kidney going nuts... I had protein in my urine for a while although that did clear up... Also, my kidney doc said if a person had a single, perfect kidney that their creatinine would be more or less normal... Mine is on the high side or normal to at times even out of spec on the high side which seems to point to the notion that I have lost some function on the left side as well... According to what I was told it would seem that you could control your bp even if your right kidney tries to drive it high if your docs can choose the right number, kind and amount of blood pressure med... What do you mean by you don't do good with meds??? That they don't work or what??? Other side effects??? I had bad luck with ACE Inhibitors because I got the famous ACE cough... But I have had great success with the Angiotensin Receptor Blocker (ARB) I take which is Diovan... You don't want to let your bp go up and stay up for extended periods of time... But the right meds should be able to help keep it down... My right kidney stopped driving my bp several years ago... It's quiet now... Best of luck... bob...

Spotlight: Member Stories

before birth my gr grandson was Dx with grade 5 reflux bilaterally since then he has had 2 VCUG and renal scans he is 19 months old now and no improve...More

Helpful Tips

QUESTION
MY DAUGHTER WAS JUST DIAGONSED WITH KINDEY FAILURE LAST YEAR SHE IS ALMOST 5 YEARS OLD AND I WAS WONDERING SHE HAS A BACTERIAL INFECTION IS ... More
Was this Helpful?
1 of 2 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.