Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up

Announcements

Have you had a kidney transplant or are waiting for one? Then visit the Organ Transplant Community and the Diabetes and Kidney Community to share your experiences with other community members!

Are you newly diagnosed? Use the WebMD search engine to read articles like Understanding Kidney Disease.
Bread on the oxalate scale for kidney stone prevention
stonesick posted:
I guess I'm now "prone" to kidney stones. The doctor told me to avoid high oxalate foods. I like my sandwiches at lunch so I'm flabbergasted. On some lists rye is low oxalate, on others it's high. On some white is low, on some it's high. At least they agree to avoid wheat. But does anyone know the truth for the other two? Do I eat white bread or rye? Or neither? Or both? Is there a bread known to be low oxalate? It seems weird there can't be a consensus on this. Can't the bread just be tested?

Thanks, the totally confused

John-SKPT responded:
Some of the confusion comes from what various list makers consider "high" or "medium" or "low".

In general, refined wheat flours are lower than whole wheat flour or wheat bran or wheat germ.

You can really never be sure exactly what blend of flours a given bakery will use, and it can change from season to season.

But as a broad guideline, white bread is generally lower in oxalate than whole wheat bread.

The real problem comes up with dark green veggies; those can easily overpower the count of even the highest oxalate breads.

Spotlight: Member Stories

I am a single woman, never married with a siamese cat named tika who is 4 (he is my son!). I am a breast cancer survivor (rads ended 4/2) and currentl...More

Helpful Tips

Pain in my sides and lower back?
For about a week I have had some discomfort in my lower back, and the sides of my lower back, and it also feels internal. The past 2 days ... More
Was this Helpful?
16 of 26 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.