Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up

Announcements

Have you had a kidney transplant or are waiting for one? Then visit the Organ Transplant Community and the Diabetes and Kidney Community to share your experiences with other community members!

Are you newly diagnosed? Use the WebMD search engine to read articles like Understanding Kidney Disease.
Kidney Stone and Creatinine Level
baltincur posted:
Does having a kidney stone necessarily affect the creatinine and/or BUN levels?

I know of someone who has kidney stone lodged in a kidney. But he says his creatinine is fine.

And, are there foods or drinks out there that will helpt soften calcium stone?

John-SKPT responded:
There is no direct relationship between renal stones and renal function/Creatinine. One might indirectly cause the other over time, but it is the reflux urine that is causing damage to nephrons and thus increasing serum creatinine.

Stones are never just calcium. There are calcium oxalate stones, calcium urate, calcium carbonate, etc. You'd need to know what the other component is, but sometimes dietary modification can lower urine oxalate or urine urate or urine carbonate, etc.

Increasing citrate supplementation can sometimes help a bit, but this is more for slowing the growth of new stones, not dissolving already formed stones.

People make all sorts of claims about drinking lemon juice, vinegar, cranberry, but this is mostly wishful thinking. The acidity is not going to make it from the stomach to the urine. The body just doesn't work that way.

Spotlight: Member Stories

I was diagnosed with 31% kidney function due to chronic kidney disease about 6 weeks ago. I have been taking Zemplar, iron, and monthly calcium. I als...More

Helpful Tips

Nephrotic Syndrome
My daughter,13 years old, was diagnosed this May with Nephrotic Syndrome. She never had any problems then all the sudden, her ankle swelled ... More
Was this Helpful?
15 of 26 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.