Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up

Announcements

Have you had a kidney transplant or are waiting for one? Then visit the Organ Transplant Community and the Diabetes and Kidney Community to share your experiences with other community members!

Are you newly diagnosed? Use the WebMD search engine to read articles like Understanding Kidney Disease.
Just been diagnosed with kidney cancer, need help!!!!
lovemydolls posted:
I had a cold the last of March into the first of April, took cough medicine and cold medicine and cold went away, felt good for a week. The second week I came down with a cough, I didn't have a primary Doctor so went to urgent care also had pain in my left side and kidney that went down to my lower back. Doctor said it was bronchitis, took x-rays nothing showed up, so gave me cough syrup steroids and antibiotics. He said that I pulled a muscle from all the coughing. I finally found a Doctor and went in for May 12th appointment, she didn't do x-rays looked up my x-ray from April 28th. She thought that I might have a touch of pneumonia and wrote me out prescription for more cough syrup, steroids and another round of antibiotics. When I sit up and sit off to my right side I have no pain, but when I lay down pain is unbearable, called Doctor and told her about pain and she ordered ct scan on my lungs, so off we go to have ct scan on Monday, get there do all paper work, get my iv in and went to room lay down and just about started scan, I told her I'm allergic to shell fish and had a reaction to it in 2001 when I was diagnosed with colon cancer, took out iv and sent me home and told me to reschedule ct scan later after I'm medicated.My Doctor knew I was allergic to shellfish, don't know why she didn't have me medicated the first time. I called nurse and told her what happened and she told me they weren't going to reschedule scan at this time, I broke down and started crying, don't know what to do. My pain got worse so called Doctor again and Doctor told me to go to urgent care, go there and more x-rays and Doctor told me he didn't know what was wrong with me so labeled me with bronchitis and got a steroid inhaler, My doctor had also gave me a inhaler too. My doctor scheduled another ct scan on Thursday, get up there and they have thrown all my paperwork away, so now more paperwork. No one wrote down that I was now medicated so ct tech wants to talk to me, I lost my place in line by now, so when he came in I told him I was medicated so he said I get my scan on my lungs to see why my cough will not go away, by now my benedryl has worn off so had to order some from Pharmacy, another 20 minutes. My scan didn't last long, but when I got up from table I got super dizzy, so put me in a wheel chair and took me to holding pen to stay for a few minutes. The nurse took me out to the lobby where my daughter and granddaughter were waiting, silly me mentioned I was thirsty and nurse brings me a cup of ice water with a straw, one sip and it went down the wrong way so now I'm coughing gagging in front of a hundred people so embaressing, thought I was gonna die. My daughter pushes me to the front door while she gets the car and I'm still coughing,gagging and gasping for air, it was horrible. She drives up to circle drive and I try to get up to leave and got dizzy and had to sit down in wheelchair and wait for her to help me to the car. I live 10 miles from hospital and coughed all the way home, not a good day for me. Left for home at 1:00pm and by 3:20 Doctor calls and tell me to come back to her office and she needed to talk to me, I lost it then I just knew they found something, I told her my grandson didn't come home from school untill 3:40 so I would find a driver to bring me to her office. My oldest daughter, twin sister, and my 16 year old granddaughter came with me and my youngest daughter met us there from work, my daughter-in law watched the grandkids for me,so if it was bad news we didn't want them to see us cry. My doctor came in and told me she had some bad news and she said I have a mass 15cm by 9cm by 8cm on my kidney and it has been growing there for 6 months, so Friday we met with doctor and I am having surgery June 9th to remove mass and kidney and 1 lymph that is slightly swollen, won't know how bad it is untill he gets in there, he says right now I'm stage 2, I would love for everyone to pray for me and my family.

Lainey_WebMD_Staff responded:
I am sorry about your cancer and what a crazy roller coaster ride to find out. I will keep you in my thoughts. Please keep us updated.

lovemydolls replied to Lainey_WebMD_Staff's response:
Thanks I will.

Tikasiamese responded:
oh my what a story. I found most interesting about the CT scan and your allergy to shellfish. You'd think the physicians would know about it. I wish you a speedy recovery after next weeks surgery. I will pray for you.
Jennifer

lovemydolls replied to Tikasiamese's response:
Thanks so much, I'm so scared,when I had my cancer colon surgery in 2001, I cried all the way to the operating table.

Lainey_WebMD_Staff replied to lovemydolls's response:
Hi lovemydolls,

Cancer surviors are a wonderful group to find support. There are many communities on WebMD where you can find answers. Along with our Kidney Disorders community, try posting on the colorectal community.
http://exchanges.webmd.com/colorectal-cancer-exchange
Have you read any of the WebMD articles regarding kidney cancer? If not, here is a great place to starting point. http://www.webmd.com/cancer/understanding-kidney-cancer
Please keep us updated.

My twin sister and I were on the colorectal site in 2001, when my twin sister was diagnosed with stage 3 colon cancer, since my dad had died of colon cancer in 1966 and numerous family members on his side had colon cancer, 5 of us had to have colonoscopies. My little sister had 2 marble size polops in her transverse colon and when they did her surgery it was cancer. My older brother had gone to his doctor to schedule a colonoscopy and when he got up to leave he told the doctor he had knots running along his neck to his shoulder. Scheduled a biopsey and was diagnosed with lymphnoma. My two younger sisters came up clean and then it was my turn and I was diagnosed with colon cancer also, within weeks of each other. Since then my oldest daughter had cancer on her lower lip in 2003 and my son was diagnosed with melanoma in 2007, just recently he had a tumor removed from his fingertip. My twin's son had cancer on his arm, it's been a devasting 10 years for us. My mom had been sick to her stomach for several weeks and we took her to the hospital yesterday to do an ultrasound, x-rays and blood work, she has a gall stone in her gall bladder and a cyst on her kidney, so now she has to have her gall bladder removed. We don't know when, since my surgery is in 5 days,it has been so hard on all my family, don't know what will come up next. Please pray for my Mom and me. Thanks so much for your posts.

Wow lovemydolls, that is devastating. Has any doctor tried to figure out why your family has such a history of cancer? I will keep you and your family in my thoughts. Please update us when you feel up to it.

Yes, It's called the lynch snydrome after a doctor in Lincoln Nebraska. In 2001 they wanted to do a gene study on us, but we thought if we did the insurance would drop us and our family members and grandkids wouldn't be able to get insurance. My Dad's mom died on the operating table after leg surgery, found out later that she had cancer. We also have 2 Aunts on our Dad's side that had colon cancer, along with one Aunt that died of breast cancer and a cousin that died of stomach cancer,and a Great Uncle that also had colon cancer.It's in the genes. This is what we know about, My Dad's family lives in Minnesota and when my died Dad in 1966, we didn't have much contact with them, we live in Missouri. My brother just had a lump removed off his back, it's melanoma, so he has to be watched carefully.The nightmare just keeps going for our family, only the good Lord knows how everything will turn out for us, keep the prayers coming.

I am so sorry lovemydolls, it seems you do have a huge cross to carry. I am shocked about the insurance, it never occurred to me that your entire family could lose insurance coverage for generations. Please keep us updated.

Spotlight: Member Stories

I was diagnosed with 31% kidney function due to chronic kidney disease about 6 weeks ago. I have been taking Zemplar, iron, and monthly calcium. I als...More

Helpful Tips

QUESTION
MY DAUGHTER WAS JUST DIAGONSED WITH KINDEY FAILURE LAST YEAR SHE IS ALMOST 5 YEARS OLD AND I WAS WONDERING SHE HAS A BACTERIAL INFECTION IS ... More
Was this Helpful?
1 of 2 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.