Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up

Announcements

Have you had a kidney transplant or are waiting for one? Then visit the Organ Transplant Community and the Diabetes and Kidney Community to share your experiences with other community members!

Are you newly diagnosed? Use the WebMD search engine to read articles like Understanding Kidney Disease.
has anyone heard of a duplicate kidney and how serious this could be
An_206665 posted:
I have a daughter who we have been told has a duplicate kidney and am wondering how serious this could be

john-skpt responded:
Duplicate kidneys can refer to dual (or triple) renal cortex or various other renal dyslpasias, but generally refer to a DUPLICATE COLLECTING SYSTEM in which sections of ureter or bladder or renal pelvis are created during development.

In many cases patients develop fully and normally with no trouble at all. Some patients have greater infection trouble as children but develop normally once adolescent growth spurts are done.

It's all case by case. A few cases need treatment as children but most are just watched until young adulthood.

mrscora01 responded:
The kidney I received from my cousin was referred to as "fully duplex". Basically, it has 2 completely separate filtering/collecting systems and 2 ureters. It has been working well for me for almost 8 years and she is doing fine. I'm not sure if her other kidney is the same or not. But basically she never had any problems with it for the first 41 years of her life before she donated, and now I am doing fine too.

Cora

trupemom responded:
Our son is 4 years old and through a traumatic fall on his back we were just given this diagnoses for the first time. He has lived 4 healthy happy years with no symptoms. Now, however; his duplicate kidney is enlarged and having reflux issues...now it can become dangerous. But again he's 4 and has apparently had this from birth and went undetected until now. I hope that could be a comfort.

Spotlight: Member Stories

before birth my gr grandson was Dx with grade 5 reflux bilaterally since then he has had 2 VCUG and renal scans he is 19 months old now and no improve...More

Helpful Tips

Pain in my sides and lower back?
For about a week I have had some discomfort in my lower back, and the sides of my lower back, and it also feels internal. The past 2 days ... More
Was this Helpful?
15 of 25 found this helpful

Related News

Report Problems to the
Food and Drug Administration

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.