Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up

Announcements

Have you had a kidney transplant or are waiting for one? Then visit the Organ Transplant Community and the Diabetes and Kidney Community to share your experiences with other community members!

Are you newly diagnosed? Use the WebMD search engine to read articles like Understanding Kidney Disease.
cholesterol kidney stone???
calicogirl63 posted:
Hi, Everyone. I have a weird question for y'all: has anyone had a kidney stone made of cholesterol? I had a stone broken up by lithotripsy about 4 weeks ago; the tiny frament that was analyzed was a "100% cholesterol" according to the results sheet from the lab. I haven't talked to my urologist yet, but I will tomorrow......this is one strange stone. I have searched the internet, and no similar stone except for gallstones made of the stuff. Hmmmmmm...

Please reply if you know anything about this stone. Thanks!

Robbie

John-SKPT responded:
I don't have an answer, but more a question or a possiblility:

Various lipids are all over the place in the body, and are part of every cell membrane. It's been discovered that people who tend to form stones have slightly different cell membranes from those who don't.

Stones are not a single chemical but are a matrix of crystals, and part of that matrix is protein or lipid in nature.

So I'm wondering if it is possible that the tiny fragment of the stone submitted for analysis--perhaps only a few molecules are used--just happened to be a part that was made up largely of lipids?

Let us know what the doc has to say about it.

nephrologist responded:
Dear Robbbie,

Have you talked with your urologist?
What was his answer?

Spotlight: Member Stories

I'm 54, female. Right around 6 years ago I had a horrible time with kidney stones. I had lithotripsy 4 times within 18 months. I still have a lot...More

Helpful Tips

Pain in my sides and lower back?
For about a week I have had some discomfort in my lower back, and the sides of my lower back, and it also feels internal. The past 2 days ... More
Was this Helpful?
16 of 26 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.