Skip to content

Announcements

Have you had a kidney transplant or are waiting for one? Then visit the Organ Transplant Community and the Diabetes and Kidney Community to share your experiences with other community members!

Are you newly diagnosed? Use the WebMD search engine to read articles like Understanding Kidney Disease.
do elevated levels of creatinine relate to kidney stones?
jmr1012 posted:
I have slightly elevated levels of creatinine and two kidney stones. Is there any relationship between the two? Blood sugar, BP, Cholesterol were all fine.

john-skpt responded:
There isn't a direct relationship between creatinine levels and renal stones.

If the functional capacity of the kidneys was slightly damaged by long-term urinary obstruction and urinary reflux, then that might elevate creatinine. But the likelihood of forming stones or the frequency of stone formation would be due to other elements in the bloodstream and in urine, not related to creatinine.

jmr1012 replied to john-skpt's response:
another question: is the damage to the kidneys permanent? And I think you may have answered this but can the stones cause the elevated creatinine level?

john-skpt replied to jmr1012's response:
Well, the permanence of damage would be due to the underlying cause, and right now, we really don't know that there is any significant damage.

You said"slightly" elevated creatinine, some simple things like slight dehydration or certain medications or even normal aging can elevate creatinine without indicating any real damage to renal function. And a 0.1-0.3 mg/dL change is generally within the acceptable lab variance. So for any single test, there is a little bit of "play" in the numbers. What matters more is the long term trend of the number over a span of several years. It all depends on how high the number is and whether it is trending steadily upwards over the long term.

So stones might be an indirect cause of renal damage, but only if they caused a chronic urinary obstruction over a fairly long time span.

sueplus5 replied to john-skpt's response:
John-SKPT,
Do you know what is considered high creatine levels? Mine have been 1.2 and 1.3 but my Nephrologist and Urologist say they are in normal range. I am confused!

Your Reply would be most appreciated

SuePlus5

john-skpt replied to sueplus5's response:
Lab refrence ranges can top out at different numbers, anywhere from 1.2 ro 1.6, but these don't take into account age, gender, body mass, etc.

The number is generally higher for men than women (larger lean muscle mass), an acceptable number is generally allowed for every decade of age over 40, a larger or smaller than average body mass can shift the range higher or lower, and medications and other health conditions are taken into account by the doctor even if the number varies a little bit from the published reference range on a standard lab sheet.

So 1.2 or 1.3 might be considered normal for you. It all depends on how the docs are bending the numbers to fit your personal profile.

arnold1984 replied to john-skpt's response:
Hi John, my problem is i have creatinine level of 1.41. I am not sure if it still normal. Are there any signs or sypmtoms that I could have a kidney disease? Like lower back ache or numbness of legs?

john-skpt replied to arnold1984's response:
There aren't physical symptoms until things get really serious (fatigue, nausea, changes in skin color, mental confusion). But 1.4 mg/dL is just barely above the normal range.

Ask your doc. The advice will probably be to keep watching it over a couple of years just to be sure it isn't increasing rapidly. Slight increases with every decade above 30 or 40 years is not unusual. Blood testing is the best way to spot early signs of renal damage.

That said, numbness in the legs and slight creatinine increases could both be due to poor circulation, but they aren't really related to each other, except for having a similar cause.

Spotlight: Member Stories

I am a 29 year old mother of two young children. I was diagnosed after I had an emergency surgery to remove my gallbladder. They diagnosed me with MSK...More

Helpful Tips

I have a uti and severe kidney pain, Is this common?
I have a uti and such bad kidney pain that I can hardly move, I cant bend down and it hurts more than I can explain. the pain comes and ... More
Was this Helpful?
0 of 0 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.