Skip to content

Announcements

Have you had a kidney transplant or are waiting for one? Then visit the Organ Transplant Community and the Diabetes and Kidney Community to share your experiences with other community members!

Are you newly diagnosed? Use the WebMD search engine to read articles like Understanding Kidney Disease.
Kidney Polyp
chuckHaley posted:
My brother has a kidney polyp. They have not founf cancer. However, the Doctor wants to remove his kidney anyway. Is this normal proceedure?

John-SKPT responded:
It's a tough call to make since all polyps are not the same. It depends (1) on exactly where it is (I suspect that it might be in the renal pelvis, a common location), and (2) on whether a qualified urologist thinks that biopsy is safe or not.

In some cases, renal lesions are not safe to biopsy because, though the benign or cancerous state can be determined until the biopsy sample is removed, removing a tissue sample has a risk of spreading a few random cells into surrounding tissue. So if it turns out NOT to be benign, then the biopsy procedure itself has vastly increased the risk of metastasis. So in those cases, the safest thing is just to excise the entire organ.

The other option might be to watch and wait, to see if any rapid changes occur. Conservative, but with some risk.

Other factors need to be considered, for example how friable or prone to repeated bleeding the area surrounding the lesion might be.

If the current doc is not a board certified urologist, I'd say to get evaluated by one before doing anything drastic.

chuckHaley replied to John-SKPT's response:
John,

Thank you for your response on my brother's kidney polyp.
It is comforting to know there is a place to go where you can get a non-biased opinion on medical issues,

I feel better for my brother knowing that the first opinion was not a random one.

Thanks again and Happy Holidays

Spotlight: Member Stories

My husband had an ultrasound in 2009, at the VA, that showed mulitple cysts and hydronephrosis in left kidney. Abnormal follow up was requested, but n...More

Helpful Tips

I have a uti and severe kidney pain, Is this common?
I have a uti and such bad kidney pain that I can hardly move, I cant bend down and it hurts more than I can explain. the pain comes and ... More
Was this Helpful?
0 of 0 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.