Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up

Announcements

Have you had a kidney transplant or are waiting for one? Then visit the Organ Transplant Community and the Diabetes and Kidney Community to share your experiences with other community members!

Are you newly diagnosed? Use the WebMD search engine to read articles like Understanding Kidney Disease.
tea and kidney stones
sherm80 posted:
I am a tea drinker (hot tea), 2-3 cups/day, so how much tea is too much in relation to kidney stones?? Also, all the supplements I take, vit D, calcium, fish oil contain this "oxalate" substance, along with spinach and sweet potatoes, that I also enjoy thoroughly. Do I stop eating completely?? Haha, would appear so with all these "pitfalls" you are warned about on a daily basis!!

I've never had a stone, but would like also to AVOID one! Thanx for your input.

John-SKPT responded:
Read this. This doc says it better and more all-encompassingly than I could.

http://en.allexperts.com/q/Urology-Male-issues-989/2008/5/kidney-stone-7.htm

Stones just cannot be successfully managed by guesswork and by the myths that abound on the internet. It requires a lot of data as to the composition of the stone, and it requires careful analysis of what goes on metabolically between the time that we eat or drink something, and the time we excrete urine. It's complicated but it's the only way to battle stones.

Lainey_WebMD_Staff responded:
Hi Sherm80,

WebMD has some information that might help: Kidney Stones - What Increases Your Risk The article states:

"Risk factors you can control

Risk factors for both new and recurring kidney stones that you can control include:

* Fluids you drink.
o The most common cause of kidney stones is not drinking enough water. Try to drink enough water to keep your urine clear (about 8 to 10 glasses of water a day).
o Drinking grapefruit juice may increase your risk for developing kidney stones.
* Diet. If you think that your diet may be a problem, schedule an appointment with a dietitian and review your food choices.
o Vitamins C and D can increase your risk of kidney stones when you take more than the daily recommendations. Read supplement labels carefully, and do not take more than the recommended daily doses.
o Levels of calcium affect your risk of kidney stones. Getting your recommended amounts of calcium combined with a low-sodium, low-protein diet may decrease your risk of kidney stones.
o Diets high in protein, sodium, and oxalate-rich foods, such as dark green vegetables, increase your risk for developing kidney stones.
* Weight and weight gain. Weight gain can result in both insulin resistance and increased calcium in the urine, which can result in a greater risk for kidney stones. In one study, weight gain since early adulthood, a high body mass index (BMI), and a large waist size increased a person's risk for kidney stones.4
* Activity level. People who are not very active may have more problems with kidney stones.
* Medicine. Some medicines, such as acetazolamide (Diamox), or indinavir (Crixivan), can cause kidney stones to form."

Consider speaking to your PCP about your diet and your concern of kidney stones. Please keep us updated. :)

Spotlight: Member Stories

I was diagnosed with 31% kidney function due to chronic kidney disease about 6 weeks ago. I have been taking Zemplar, iron, and monthly calcium. I als...More

Helpful Tips

QUESTION
MY DAUGHTER WAS JUST DIAGONSED WITH KINDEY FAILURE LAST YEAR SHE IS ALMOST 5 YEARS OLD AND I WAS WONDERING SHE HAS A BACTERIAL INFECTION IS ... More
Was this Helpful?
1 of 2 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.