Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up

Announcements

Have you had a kidney transplant or are waiting for one? Then visit the Organ Transplant Community and the Diabetes and Kidney Community to share your experiences with other community members!

Are you newly diagnosed? Use the WebMD search engine to read articles like Understanding Kidney Disease.
Kidney Stone Question
Southernmom410 posted:
I currently have a kidney stone and this is my third time having them. The other times (2002 and 2009) I had to have surgery to remove them because they were not passing on their own. They were approx 4mm in size which from what I have read, I should have been able to pass them on my own.

My first symptoms always start out with nausea and a brick in my stomach feeling that does not go away until the stone(s) are gone. The other two times I have had to stay on pain medicine a pretty good bit, visited the ER and was almost constantly in pain.

This time is very different. My typical symptoms started (nausea and brick feeling) but I have been in very little pain. I had blood in my urine for 2 days and have only had to take a pain pill twice in several weeks. For the most part I am either feeling "crampy" on my side or nothing at all. Does this mean that the stone(s) is just stuck somewhere and not moving at all? I'm drinking water constantly and have been taking Flomax 1x for the past week and straining my urine every time. I don't have insurance right now so getting a CT scan is out of the question due to the cost. I've also tried the remedy of drinking olive oil/lemon juice several times to no avail. About a week ago was when I had to take the two pain pills and was having really bad urgency for about 24hrs so I was convinced that it was about to pass but it didn't.

Does anyone else get that brick in the stomach feeling with kidney stones? I know it's not a "typical" symptom from what I have read and my dr too but it is always "my" symptom and I don't know why. It is just an awful constant feeling along with the nausea.

If anyone could give me some insight or suggestions I would greatly appreciate it!

Southernmom410 responded:
Anyone?

Lainey_WebMD_Staff responded:
Hi Southernmom410,

WebMD has information about kidney stones that might help. Please contact your PCP and let them know what you are feeling. Keep us updated and I hope you feel better soon. :)

Spotlight: Member Stories

I am 32, soon 33 I have suffered with PKD and a cystic liver for over 10 years. I have what Doctors call a 'mutated form of PKD and Liver Disease&...More

Helpful Tips

contrast dye and polycystic kidney disease
Please do not have a CT scan with contrast dye if you have polycystic kidney disease. It is harmful and you can land up in the hospital ... More
Was this Helpful?
25 of 36 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.