Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up

Announcements

Have you had a kidney transplant or are waiting for one? Then visit the Organ Transplant Community and the Diabetes and Kidney Community to share your experiences with other community members!

Are you newly diagnosed? Use the WebMD search engine to read articles like Understanding Kidney Disease.
Mild Renal Pelvic Fulness
joyciebee posted:
Hi! I am new to this group and need some information. Last month I had a lot of blood in my urine for five or six days. I was referred by my GP to a urologist who ordered an abdominal CT scan. I got the report last week and learned that I have no bladder or kidney stones but there is a "mild renal pelvis fulness and calyxes". As I understand what the urologist said, there is urine backing up into the left kidney. In two weeks I am going to be put to sleep and he is going to do a cystoscope. He said that if he sees a stone or anything he can remove it. He also said that I may have a congenital proble that has never been discovered and that it may be causing my problem. Has anyone heard of this, and can anyone shed any light on the CT findings? Thank you so much!

John-SKPT responded:
The renal pelvis is the next to last section of the collecting system, then the ureteropelvic junction (UPJ), and lastly the ureter leading to the bladder.

It's a common place for backed up urine to collect, and when it gets severe, the pressure can cause pain, occasionally bleeding into the urine.

The radiologist's sentence was a little unclear in that the report tacked on "and calyxes" with nothing after that. So as badly written as it is, from what you report there is some urine present in and around the renal calyxes, an earlier step in the collecting system.

On the bright side, it does not mention hydronephrosis or extrarenal pelvis or dilation, which would generally indicate a more severe level of backed up urine which has been present for a long long time.

It will be up to the urologist as to what to do; placement of a stent would be one option if he finds a narrowed, kinked or otherwise obstructed ureter. You might want to discuss this with the doc before you are under anesthesia, just so you know what you might wake up with. Stents are sometimes effective, and are reversible, but they are not always comfortable. Just mention it before to avoid a surprise.

joyciebee replied to John-SKPT's response:
Thank you. I will ask the doctor about it.

Spotlight: Member Stories

I am a 38 year old male who was recently diagnosed with a mobile kidney. My right kidney is fully mobile. When I am lying down it is where it should b...More

Helpful Tips

Nephrotic Syndrome
My daughter,13 years old, was diagnosed this May with Nephrotic Syndrome. She never had any problems then all the sudden, her ankle swelled ... More
Was this Helpful?
15 of 26 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.