Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up

Announcements

Have you had a kidney transplant or are waiting for one? Then visit the Organ Transplant Community and the Diabetes and Kidney Community to share your experiences with other community members!

Are you newly diagnosed? Use the WebMD search engine to read articles like Understanding Kidney Disease.
Kidney Stones are a Major Pain
Lainey_WebMD_Staff posted:
WebMD's expert, Dr. Moser shares his experience with kidney stones and has the same frustrations as many suffers. Quote from Dr. Moser's blog:

"Perhaps because I am a medical provider, the ER doc did not feel that it was necessary to examine me. He ordered the tests that I expected and treated me appropriately. It would have been nice if he at least shook my hand, for God's sake. At that moment, I feel like I was not a person, but a "kidney stone". I know that many people have this same experience of depersonalization. It seems that the most technically-experienced medical providers seem to have missed the class on professional behavior. Oh, well. I wasn't in any position to make new friends anyway."

How was your experience with kidney stones?

Demeli responded:
My first bout w/ kidney stones was a good one (not the pain of course but the ER visit). I had no clue why I was in soooo much pain, and one of the ER nurses said to me, "have you ever had a kidney stone?". What's a kidney stone??? They got me nice and comfortable and I went home. A year later I had another stone attack--I knew instantly "the pain". Got to the ER (this time I was 26 wks pregnant) did the normal lab tests. And since I was pregnant you cannot perform CTs or Xrays. He did order an ultrasound which is quite hard to see stones. Well, the dr. concluded that it was just hydronephrosis in my kidney (which can be normal in pregnancy) and I had no stone! I just stared at him and was like, "Really--I know what this pain is!". Well, in the end I was hospitalized that day and with constant IV fluid and pain med I passed my stone about a day and a half later! So, I've had good and bad visits :)

Lainey_WebMD_Staff replied to Demeli's response:
Hi Demeli,

I am sorry you had to go through so much pain. I have been pretty lucky with my doctors.

I like how Dr. Moser described his visit to emergency:

"At that moment, I feel like I was not a person, but a "kidney stone". I know that many people have this same experience of depersonalization. It seems that the most technically-experienced medical providers seem to have missed the class on professional behavior."

tiff_kidneystone_golem responded:
i've had 4 surgeries for stones in the passed 4 yrs. each one has been different. the first time i had no idea what was wrong. they found a stone that was stuck and blasted it. the second time i knew what was wrong, but instead of blasting it the doc pushed the stone back up into my kidney, and said that i would be fine, needless to say the third was a direct result of 2. this time the stone was stuck in my kidney and was the size of a quarter. i had to have them cut into my kidney to remove it. this sucked in more ways then i thought, cause it turns out my kidneys are hiding in my rib cage, so the doc said next time i lose that kidney. the 4th thankfully was in the other kidney. the doc said its due to my kidneys stealing calcium from my bones. the worst part is not being able to afford health care so the doctors tend to brush me off, so i continue to grow them till they become stuck. on the bright side i am developing a nice high pain tolerance. lol

Lainey_WebMD_Staff replied to tiff_kidneystone_golem's response:
Hi Tiff_kidneystone_golem,

I am so sorry you went through all that pain. I hope you have no more problems with stones.

Spotlight: Member Stories

My husband had an ultrasound in 2009, at the VA, that showed mulitple cysts and hydronephrosis in left kidney. Abnormal follow up was requested, but n...More

Helpful Tips

Pain in my sides and lower back?
For about a week I have had some discomfort in my lower back, and the sides of my lower back, and it also feels internal. The past 2 days ... More
Was this Helpful?
16 of 26 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.