Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up

Announcements

Have you had a kidney transplant or are waiting for one? Then visit the Organ Transplant Community and the Diabetes and Kidney Community to share your experiences with other community members!

Are you newly diagnosed? Use the WebMD search engine to read articles like Understanding Kidney Disease.
What would the sugestion as my Creatinine is 1.22
An_206733 posted:
Hello

This kiran i am 29 years old i am male and having ploysystic kindey whereas always i had blood presure since @ the age of 15 where as my preassure remains contastant @ 90/140 for which i dailly take medicine twice losar 50 and cardice 5..
last time when i checked my creatinine it was 1.05 in 09/2009 but where as now i have checked my creatinine is is showing 1.22 but where as referal level shows 0.7 to 1.22 .
is this really point ot worried? i m very much scared of it. definaetly i would sugest my nephrologis for but mean while can help any one help me by providing any good suggestion where by manully i can reduce my ceratinine level.

Really it would boost up my engery as well it would be really apriciated.

Advance Thanks
ABC

John-SKPT responded:
1.2 is not bad. (I just ignore the second decimal place; while tests may be able to calculate the number to that degree, it is truly insignificant; the tests just are not that accurate consistently.)

Unfortunately, with polycystic kidney disease, there really is not much that can be done to lower the creatinine number. As the cystic tissue very slowly displaces the functioning kidney tissue, the function will slowly decline. It may take a number of decades to reach the point where the patient needs dialysis or transplant, but in some cases things progress faster.

I suspect that the creatinine of 1.2 is not really making you feel all that bad right now. What I think may be lowering your energy level is the fact that your hematocrit and hemoglobin may be a little low. The hormone erythropoietin controls how many red blood cells are made by the bone marrow, and how many remain in the blood stream, and most of this hormone is created in the kidney.

There are synthetic versions of erythropoietin that can be injected by the doctor every few weeks (Procrit, Epogen are the US names, erythopoietin alpha is the chemical name, and Aranesp is a similar medicine). However, these genetically engineered drugs are very expensive, and--at least in the US--are not covered by medical insurance until the hematocrit has fallen quite low. There are some safety concerns as well. (Though I have taken them for 15 years with no bad side effects.) You can ask your doctor about them, and also find out what your hematocrit and hemoglobin are currently.

Spotlight: Member Stories

About Me: I'm a wife and a mom. Why I came to WebMD: To become a better informed health consumer. I'm a baby boomer facing the same cha...More

Helpful Tips

Nephrotic Syndrome
My daughter,13 years old, was diagnosed this May with Nephrotic Syndrome. She never had any problems then all the sudden, her ankle swelled ... More
Was this Helpful?
15 of 26 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.