Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up

Announcements

Have you had a kidney transplant or are waiting for one? Then visit the Organ Transplant Community and the Diabetes and Kidney Community to share your experiences with other community members!

Are you newly diagnosed? Use the WebMD search engine to read articles like Understanding Kidney Disease.
Cortical thinning of left kidney
pmackey6 posted:
Daughter's results from rnal ultrasound. What does cortical thinning mean? Is it bad? Her dr is out of town for a month and I am wanting answers.

pmackey6 responded:
that is suppose to say renal ultrasound

John-SKPT responded:
The renal cortex is the large section of functional tissue that essentially gives the kidney its shape; its the outermost layer, only the renal capsule is more to the edge than the cortex.

There are hundreds of variables to this finding; in a lot of patients, the cortex appears thinned but renal function remains normal and stable.

In a larger subset of patients, cortical thinning can result from frequent of chronic inflammation, like glomerulosclerosis or glomerulonephritis. And the underlying causes for those conditions could be a wide variety of things.

It would be up to the doc to put the imaging results together with the patient's blood and urine test numbers and entire history and then figure out what the real cause might be.

So in and of itself, cortical thinning is not a 'disease'; it is caused by something else, but right now we don't have enough history to base a guess on. It's really a symptom; just an unusual finding on an ultrasound. I'm afraid that you need to wait on the doc to get any real answers.

In any case, it's probably not immediately dangerous, and a month's delay will probably not change the overall condition of the patient much, if at all.

pmackey6 replied to John-SKPT's response:
Thanks for all the info. Her left kidney only functions 30% since she was 3 yrs old. She is 19 yrs old now. She had a huge reconstructive bladder surgery and on her left ureter tube due to alot of uti and reflex, so that is why her left kidney only functions less than the right. All of the uti damaged her kidney and tube. She was having alot of right flank pain 2 wks ago so the drs did cultures on her urine which came back negative and that is why they did a renal ultrasound and ct scan. That is when we got the results in the mail with cortical thinning of left kidney and her dr out for the month on vacation. They told her if she wanted to she can see one of his partners to get more answers instead of her waiting till her dr gets back in town. Just wanted to let you know that she was also diagnosed with Crohns Disease 2 yrs ago too.
Thanks

John-SKPT replied to pmackey6's response:
OK. It's up to you whether you see the partner or not, but if it's going to nag at you for that long, it might be good to have a talk with a doc.

The reflux and infections might have contributed to the cortical thinning, but one might expect to see greater thinning on one side than the other side. (Not always though.) Crohns is decidedly inflammatory, and though it is not yet totally proved, it is potentially autoimmune in nature. So there is some possibility that any autoimmunity is also have a somewhat less dramatic effect on renal tissues. That's going to be hard if not impossible to demonstrate beyond the shadow of a doubt, but it's a random possibility.

Spotlight: Member Stories

About Me: I'm a wife and a mom. Why I came to WebMD: To become a better informed health consumer. I'm a baby boomer facing the same cha...More

Helpful Tips

Nephrotic Syndrome
My daughter,13 years old, was diagnosed this May with Nephrotic Syndrome. She never had any problems then all the sudden, her ankle swelled ... More
Was this Helpful?
15 of 26 found this helpful

Related News

Report Problems to the
Food and Drug Administration

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.