Skip to content


    Exciting News for WebMD Members!

    We've been busy behind the scenes building new message boards for you. You'll have new and easier ways to find messages, connect with others, and share your stories.

    And, this will all be available on your smartphone or other mobile device!

    What Do You Need to Do?

    The message board you're used to will be closing in the coming weeks. While many of your boards will be making the move to our new home, your posts will not. Want to keep a discussion going? Save posts you want to continue (this includes your member profile story), so that you can re-post them in the new message boards.

    Keep an eye here and on your email inbox, we'll be back in touch soon to give you all the information you need!

    Yours in health,
    WebMD Message Boards Management

    Have you had a kidney transplant or are waiting for one? Then visit the Organ Transplant Community and the Diabetes and Kidney Community to share your experiences with other community members!

    Are you newly diagnosed? Use the WebMD search engine to read articles like Understanding Kidney Disease.
    Loss of Kidney Function
    An_206736 posted:
    Following an angiogram almost 5 yrs ago that preceeded a quad. bypass operation, I experienced a 30% loss of kidney function due to the dye used in the angiogram. I gained 21 lbs in 3 days in the hospital then another 30 in 4-5 weeks afterwards. No matter what I try, no salt, low fat, and exercise, the weight does not come off. Within a year of the surgery I also was diagnosed with diabetes. Is there anything that can be done about the weight and loss of kidney function.
    John-SKPT responded:
    Kidneys are the most blood-dependent structures in the body. Any change to the overall cardiovascular condition or cardiac output will sooner or later affect kidney function.

    The contrast dye might have been a factor too, but if the coronary arteries were already weak enough to demand a quadruple bypass, then the overall arterial structiure was certainly somewhat compromised at that point.

    There really is nothing that will restore renal function that has been lost to vascular compromise. The best that we can shoot for is to keep it stable from here on out.

    Now, if the weight is simply fluid retention, that can be treated with drugs. If it is not fluid and it a true weight gain, I'm not sure of much other than dietary modification and exercise that can help. (This does not mean a diet that someone does for a few months then quits; it means a change in lifestyle, a change in eating habits, the whole nine yards.)

    I find that portion control is absolutely the easiest way. (the standard American "clean your plate" syndrome is the worst thing that parents ever did to their kids.) I cut out ALL packaged and processed foods. ALL of them. Don't open a box of Kellogg's anything. Take five minutes and cook some old fashioned oat meal. Don't open a box of mac and cheese; take 15 minutes to cook some pasta and serve it with a little olive oil, and a few herbs, grate a little quality cheese over the top. Eat tons of veggies.Your food will taste far better and be far better for you if you invest a little time and a little of your personality and creativity in the creation of it.)

    So I'm sure that this is not the advice that you were looking for, but it is the best that I have to offer.

    BTW: I'm over 50 years of age, I don't exercise much, I adore food, never starve myself, had a kidney transplant, a couple of angiograms, and I still weight the same 120 pounds that I did when I got out of high school. Eating right works.)

    Spotlight: Member Stories

    About Me: I'm a wife and a mom. Why I came to WebMD: To become a better informed health consumer. I'm a baby boomer facing the same cha...More

    Helpful Tips

    I have a uti and severe kidney pain, Is this common?
    I have a uti and such bad kidney pain that I can hardly move, I cant bend down and it hurts more than I can explain. the pain comes and ... More
    Was this Helpful?
    0 of 0 found this helpful

    Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

    FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.