Skip to content

Announcements

Have you had a kidney transplant or are waiting for one? Then visit the Organ Transplant Community and the Diabetes and Kidney Community to share your experiences with other community members!

Are you newly diagnosed? Use the WebMD search engine to read articles like Understanding Kidney Disease.
Loss of Kidney Function
An_206736 posted:
Following an angiogram almost 5 yrs ago that preceeded a quad. bypass operation, I experienced a 30% loss of kidney function due to the dye used in the angiogram. I gained 21 lbs in 3 days in the hospital then another 30 in 4-5 weeks afterwards. No matter what I try, no salt, low fat, and exercise, the weight does not come off. Within a year of the surgery I also was diagnosed with diabetes. Is there anything that can be done about the weight and loss of kidney function.

John-SKPT responded:
Kidneys are the most blood-dependent structures in the body. Any change to the overall cardiovascular condition or cardiac output will sooner or later affect kidney function.

The contrast dye might have been a factor too, but if the coronary arteries were already weak enough to demand a quadruple bypass, then the overall arterial structiure was certainly somewhat compromised at that point.

There really is nothing that will restore renal function that has been lost to vascular compromise. The best that we can shoot for is to keep it stable from here on out.

Now, if the weight is simply fluid retention, that can be treated with drugs. If it is not fluid and it a true weight gain, I'm not sure of much other than dietary modification and exercise that can help. (This does not mean a diet that someone does for a few months then quits; it means a change in lifestyle, a change in eating habits, the whole nine yards.)

I find that portion control is absolutely the easiest way. (the standard American "clean your plate" syndrome is the worst thing that parents ever did to their kids.) I cut out ALL packaged and processed foods. ALL of them. Don't open a box of Kellogg's anything. Take five minutes and cook some old fashioned oat meal. Don't open a box of mac and cheese; take 15 minutes to cook some pasta and serve it with a little olive oil, and a few herbs, grate a little quality cheese over the top. Eat tons of veggies.Your food will taste far better and be far better for you if you invest a little time and a little of your personality and creativity in the creation of it.)

So I'm sure that this is not the advice that you were looking for, but it is the best that I have to offer.

BTW: I'm over 50 years of age, I don't exercise much, I adore food, never starve myself, had a kidney transplant, a couple of angiograms, and I still weight the same 120 pounds that I did when I got out of high school. Eating right works.)

Spotlight: Member Stories

I am a single woman, never married with a siamese cat named tika who is 4 (he is my son!). I am a breast cancer survivor (rads ended 4/2) and currentl...More

Helpful Tips

FLUID INTAKE AND CKD.
If I have CKD, should I limit my fluid intake, or increase it ? More
Was this Helpful?
0 of 0 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.