Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up

Announcements

Have you had a kidney transplant or are waiting for one? Then visit the Organ Transplant Community and the Diabetes and Kidney Community to share your experiences with other community members!

Are you newly diagnosed? Use the WebMD search engine to read articles like Understanding Kidney Disease.
Double Collecting System on Left Kidney
DCSolyWA posted:
So here is my story and need a alittle reassuring. I am 29 years old, not on set UTI or bladder infections. Two months ago i have server pain in my lower right now, CT scan showed a 2.5cm cyst on my ovarian, follow up CT scan the cyst was gone, but did find a double collecting system on my left kidney, and it is inflamed. My symptoms are going pee all the time, when the bladder is full i'm in a lot of pain, this wakes me up from sleep I go about 3 to 4 times a night.
I have been refered to urogolist, however i'm not sure what to expect. I've been trying to inform myself via the internet but all i can see if removal in young child. Is this still the process for adults? if so how is the surgery done? what is the recovery time. I have about a week till i know when my appointment is.

Thank you

DCSolyWA responded:
also have moderate blood in my urine, which did not know because it was not detected by eye

john-skpt responded:
The procedure varies with every case, things like exactly where the duplicate ureter is, how much of it there is, how and where it connects, etc. Some cases require an open incision, some can be done via a cystoscope (but often with general anesthesia).

If the duplicate ureter is causing chronic infections (and this is very common, since the urine flow is often very limited in the duplicate), then for the overall system to be healthier, the best thing is to get rid of the extra. That way the urine has a straight and open path to get to the bladder.

So you really need to talk to the urologist who has seen the CT and knows exactly the layout of your individual anatomy. Best of luck to you.

Cailber11 responded:
I was born with one. My mother was told if they took it out when i was a baby there would be a chance that i would not be able to hold my bladder and need a bag. I wish you the best of luck. I am now 29 years old and have had tons of problems and things are getting more intense. I have to go to see urogolist as well. I do not pee but once a day and in a lot of pain all the time. Its odd cause i also have the ovarian cyst,i was diagnosied with PCOS (Poly Cystic overanian dyse) and wonder if the two could be related. Good luck on your journey.

ronnietx responded:
My right kidney is a Pelvic kidney with Duplicated Collecting System. I had a stone 1,4CmX1.1Cm in the CT Scan. The Urologist asked me to drink 60 to 80 OZ of water, also put me on Bactrim to remove infection. Within a few days I had blood spots in my underwear. Two weeks later he performed a Ureteroscopy, no stone was found. (the stone had dissolved due to proper hydration, prior to this I used to have 1 glass of water, 1 cup of Tea and 1 Diet Pepsi everyday which was not enough) The Urologist had me do a Renal Scan (injects isotope and the camera checks for flow in the Ureter and bladder). Fortunately the flow is good, but the kidney with Dup. Coll. Sys is working 19% the other kidney does the 81%. I am told Dup. Coll. System does not work well and hence only 19% effective. Urologist also told me to keep the kidney, only remove it if it goes to 5% or less. PLEASE HYDRATE yourself Your kidneys filter and purify your blood. They regulate your blood pressure, balance electrolytes and other ions in your blood system, and eliminate toxins — and flushing toxins out through your kidneys is an important part of healing. Kidneys are one of the most hard-working organs in our body. Since all kidney functions involve filtering blood through tiny tubes, drinking adequate water and keeping your body hydrated makes filtering easier.This natural purification system regulates correctly only if the volume of water flowing through it is sufficient to carry away the waste. That's the reason why dehydration is the greatest threat to the process of blood purification, and the most common source of stress on the kidneys. I am 65 and doing well. I am asked to stop taking Vitamin C & Vitamin D3 also. Your problem is different then mine but ask him if you should be given an antibiotic for infection. Get a second opinion before thinking of removing the kidney. Good Luck!

helenehere responded:
I am have a SWL procedure on my stone...I am so scared...do you know of anyone that has had this done.
Good luck to you and hope you have a good urologist too.
Helene

helenehere responded:
DCSolyaWA ~ Thank you for your post. However, I am also asking a question re a kidney stone that is going to have Shock Wave Lithotripsy done in the new year. Queston is: Has anyone had it done and what is the pain involved during and after this procedure and what was the sedation used?
Good luck on your appointment.
Helene.

helenehere replied to john-skpt's response:
Thank you John. I have talked to the urologist and will have the kidney stone 'blasted' by shock wave. I just need to read how others coped with this procedure and what pain was during and after procedure, and length of time to pass the fragments or w/e they re called. Thank you.
Helene

Spotlight: Member Stories

I am 43 years old, have 2 beautiful children, 4 resuced kitties, and just remarried to a wonderful man. I have been very sick and unable to work since...More

Helpful Tips

I have a uti and severe kidney pain, Is this common?
I have a uti and such bad kidney pain that I can hardly move, I cant bend down and it hurts more than I can explain. the pain comes and ... More
Was this Helpful?
0 of 0 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.