Skip to content

Announcements

Have you had a kidney transplant or are waiting for one? Then visit the Organ Transplant Community and the Diabetes and Kidney Community to share your experiences with other community members!

Are you newly diagnosed? Use the WebMD search engine to read articles like Understanding Kidney Disease.
Caring for Your Kidney Naturally
Andie_WebMD_Staff posted:
When you have chronic kidney disease , your kidneys are no longer working as well as they need to. Changing your diet can help protect your kidneys. It can also help you control other diseases, such as diabetes and high blood pressure, that can make kidney disease worse.

Here a a few basic tips from on improving your diet for healthy kidneys :

Drink more fluids - especially water, to help to wash away the substances in the kidneys

Eat a balanced diet - stay away from foods high in animal protein. This includes beef, chicken, pork, fish, and eggs. These foods contain a lot of protein, and too much protein may lead to kidney stones

Talk to your doctor
- if you take vitamins or supplements, he or she may want you to limit how much fish liver oil or calcium supplements you take. Also, do not take more than the recommended daily dose of vitamins C and D.

Here are a list of vitamins and supplements that our users have reviewed for treating or reducing the symptoms of Urinary tract infections (UTIs) and Kidney Disease.

Has your doctor or dietitian given you some recommendations for keeping your kidney healthy? What has been working for you?

pitts25 responded:
MY DAUGHTER HAS CHORNIC KIDNEY FAILURE AND HAS A BACTERIAL INFECTION IS THIS BAD

Spotlight: Member Stories

My husband had an ultrasound in 2009, at the VA, that showed mulitple cysts and hydronephrosis in left kidney. Abnormal follow up was requested, but n...More

Helpful Tips

I have a uti and severe kidney pain, Is this common?
I have a uti and such bad kidney pain that I can hardly move, I cant bend down and it hurts more than I can explain. the pain comes and ... More
Was this Helpful?
0 of 0 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.