Skip to content

Announcements

Have you had a kidney transplant or are waiting for one? Then visit the Organ Transplant Community and the Diabetes and Kidney Community to share your experiences with other community members!

Are you newly diagnosed? Use the WebMD search engine to read articles like Understanding Kidney Disease.
Kidney Stone leading to depression
An_206749 posted:
I had a stone for the first time in March.
The pain was almost unbearable, and I was left with a very expensive hospital bill even after insurance.
Everywhere I read when doing my research, I see something along the lines of 'if you've had one, you'll have another'. Even the doctors say the same thing.
I cannot deal with the fact that I WILL feel that pain and have to pay that kind of money again.
Also through my research, I see just about every food that I like to eat on the lists of 'avoid'. Then some lists, contradict others. I am so confused.
I also have been diagnosed with pre-diabetes. All of the foods that help reverse this disease...I'm finding them on the high oxalate lists. So basically to get cured of prediabetes, I'll risk a kidney stone.
I know that is probably panic-like thinking, but I cannot find comfort anywhere about kidney stones. I am very afraid.
I'm getting older...29 now and will be 30 in 6 months. I can't help but thinking my days of being disease/ailment free are over. And what's worse is that I spent all my youth overeating...eating whatever I wanted and however much of it my mouth wanted. All that foolishness...I look back on it with a 'NOW look at you' type regret.
I'm not dealing with this well at all. I feel like I cannot eat anything. I feel panicky, defeated, and alone.
I've just ordered a book called 'No More Kidney' stones, a low-oxalate cook book, and I have an appointment with my doc soon where I am hoping he will listen and try to answer the millions of questions I have. I'm just still so afraid.
And food is something that has always been a love in my life. I love the flavors, the textures, the conversations about it, the way it brings people together. Dining out has been my ONLY source of joy for many years now; its the only thing I do for fun. And after researching the amounts of sodium in anything that you don't cook yourself...I just feel like everything is being taken away from me.
Like my freedom is gone now.
And then trying to combat the prediabetes and kidney stone formation seems too daunting for me...like I don't have what it takes to prevent them both. I'm exercising regularly and have lost some weight. I'm drinking so much water. But at the same time, I'm still just so afraid...afraid that I'm not doing enough/not doing it right/doing it too much/etc etc...

I just need someone to tell me its going to be ok...but someone who knows that for a fact.

Andie_WebMD_Staff responded:
Hey there,

Sorry to hear of your expensive and painful kidney stone experience. :(

I've had kidney stones 3 times in my life. The first one was the worst but I passed all of them without surgery. When they told me I'd probably have more I didn't believe them.

Not all kidney stones need surgery or end up being as expensive. Some are smaller than others, so there is a chance that any other ones you may have will be smaller and you'll be able to pass on your own.

The last stone I felt coming on I ran to the cupboard and fixed myself a little cocktail of olive oil, lemon juice and raw apple cider vinegar, which I washed down with lots of water. I did this twice and it must have done something because the symptoms went away and I never went through the excruciating pain of passing a large stone

I'm thinking that the citric acid broke the stone down and the oil helped pass. But that's just my thoughts, nothing to back it up.

I try to drink at least a gallon of water a day and like to add a slice of lemon to mine. If you do nothing else, be sure to up your water intake.

Hopefully we'll get some other members chiming in with their suggestions, too.

Let us know how you're doing!

~Andie

Spotlight: Member Stories

I am a 38 year old male who was recently diagnosed with a mobile kidney. My right kidney is fully mobile. When I am lying down it is where it should b...More

Helpful Tips

Nephrotic Syndrome
My daughter,13 years old, was diagnosed this May with Nephrotic Syndrome. She never had any problems then all the sudden, her ankle swelled ... More
Was this Helpful?
15 of 26 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.