Skip to content

Announcements

Have you had a kidney transplant or are waiting for one? Then visit the Organ Transplant Community and the Diabetes and Kidney Community to share your experiences with other community members!

Are you newly diagnosed? Use the WebMD search engine to read articles like Understanding Kidney Disease.
Where to find actual information on kidney stones
Whatever12222 posted:
I had a kidney stone two days ago, and the CT scan showed another one waiting in the wings.

I'm having trouble finding clear, accurate, detailed information on kidney stones. Much of what I am finding is contradictory; for instance, kidney stones develop either over long periods of time, or overnight, usually at 3 AM, and what you drink before bed determines whether one will form that night.
The web sites that are usually detailed and helpful, like NIH, NIDDK, Mayo Clinic, and Web MD, have just a few paragraphs, are too simplistic and too vague and too general, and generally read like they were written for a nine year old.

Where can I find actual accurate comprehensive information?

I'd consider books as well if I know they're good. I'm not shelling out big money to learn less than I'm learning online.

Examples of things I want to know include,

How long does it really take a one to two mm kidney stone to form?

Are there medications that can dissolve kidney stones, and if so, what are some of them? What kinds of kidney stones do which medications work on?

Thanks!

Yours,
Dora (don't pay any attention to whatever screen name it manages to display)

Andie_WebMD_Staff responded:
Hi Dora,

Sorry for the late response. Hopefully I can get you some good information on kidney stones. Check out this thread where I asked members if they'd experienced kidney stones and posted a few good resources.

You might also check out our Kidney Stone Health Directory for more articles, videos, and slideshows.

Hope that helps!!

~Andie

Spotlight: Member Stories

Momma of 6 children, 3 beautiful girls ages, 20, 26, and 27 and 3 handsome boys ages, 21, 16, and 14. My 26 and 27 year old have finished college. My ...More

Helpful Tips

QUESTION
MY DAUGHTER WAS JUST DIAGONSED WITH KINDEY FAILURE LAST YEAR SHE IS ALMOST 5 YEARS OLD AND I WAS WONDERING SHE HAS A BACTERIAL INFECTION IS ... More
Was this Helpful?
1 of 2 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.