Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up

Announcements

Have you had a kidney transplant or are waiting for one? Then visit the Organ Transplant Community and the Diabetes and Kidney Community to share your experiences with other community members!

Are you newly diagnosed? Use the WebMD search engine to read articles like Understanding Kidney Disease.
creatinine bouncing around but unfortunately this time up...
diitto posted:
Hi... Haven't posted in a while... I have renal artery stenosis of the right kidney and it is essentially gone. The left kidney suffered harm when the right kidney drove bp through the roof back in 2003... That's the history..

Back in 2003 - 2006 when my local lab had a creatinine normal window of 0.8 - 1.3 mg/dL, I had readings that were anywhere from 1.2 - 1.6 with most of them being right around the 1.3... And I had a lot of tests done in those days...

Then, the lab changed their test in some way where the new limits were a little wider and with a lower mean... The new limits of normal are 0.61 - 1.24 (yeah, and they now think they can read values to one more decimal place...

So my very first test against those new limits gave an astounding value of 0.96 (almost right in the middle)... The next test was even more amazing at 0.91 (less than the mean)... So here's a guy who never got much below the top end of spec against the old limits who now is right in the middle of the bell curve... Since those readings, I've since had 1.08, 1.16, 1.09 and then today's reading of 1.25... The 1.25 is higher yes (and I always try to be well hydrated the same way from test to test) but it's really no higher than all the 1.3 I used to get against the old spec... What's so troubling here is how much higher this reading is than the 0.96 and 0.91 readings I got before... The doc wanted me to repeat the test in two weeks but I'm so stressed by what I fear is happening (moving further into kidney failure) that I told her I didn't think I could handle that so we moved it out a bit...

Anyone got any thoughts to share that might give me back a little hope as today's visit to the kidney doc really got me down... thanks much... bob...

John-SKPT responded:
OK I will try this a second time; fortunately I saved a copy of what I posted this morning that this crappy software didn't take.

About the only thing that I can suggest is not to get caught up in the numbers game.

Frankly, after having blood work done monthly or more often for 15 years, I have to take a longer view of things. If I let every little number burble get to me, I'd have lost it long ago.

I also think that the second decimal place is ludicrous. Yeah maybe it is within the technical limits of the lab machinery, but is it medically significant? Not at all. And most labs operate (though they won't really say it) with an "Acceptable Variance" of 10-15%. That acceptable variance then allows for about a 0.1-0.2 shift in the creatinine number that is totally insignificant.

OK, 1.3 (1.25) looks worse than 1.0 (0.96), but not that much worse, and unless you get a series of tests that are 1.3 or higher over the next year, I wouldn't panic over it. Just keep an eye on things and see what the long term trend-line looks like over the years and decades. Seriously: do a graph and plot out a trend.

Spotlight: Member Stories

Momma of 6 children, 3 beautiful girls ages, 20, 26, and 27 and 3 handsome boys ages, 21, 16, and 14. My 26 and 27 year old have finished college. My ...More

Helpful Tips

Nephrotic Syndrome
My daughter,13 years old, was diagnosed this May with Nephrotic Syndrome. She never had any problems then all the sudden, her ankle swelled ... More
Was this Helpful?
15 of 26 found this helpful

Related News

Report Problems to the
Food and Drug Administration

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.