Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up

Announcements

Have you had a kidney transplant or are waiting for one? Then visit the Organ Transplant Community and the Diabetes and Kidney Community to share your experiences with other community members!

Are you newly diagnosed? Use the WebMD search engine to read articles like Understanding Kidney Disease.
compensatory hypertrophy of the kidneys
An_242034 posted:
just lookin for some info. i have a one kidney that is basically non existent and one the is showing signs of compensatory hypertrophy. just wondering what kinds risks there are with having this going on and what doctors could do to make the situation better. any info would be great!

john-skpt responded:
Compensatory hypertrophy is an expected floow-up to having one kidney surgically removed, or losing the function in one kidney. It's the body's natural way of coping.

There are a few precautions that you can take: avoid contact sports or properly shield the working kidney from trauma. Monitor blood pressure frequently. See your physician regularly. Avoid nephrotoxic drugs like ibuprofen and naproxen (as well as dozens of risky prescription drugs). Eat a healthy diet and monitor cholesterol. Good bloodflow equals a happy kidney.

You don't mention what caused the loss of function in the other kidney, but if the same problem could affect the good kidney, your physician probably should be treating that condition aggressively.

Over time, if the cardiovascular system is in good shape, the hypertrophic kidney should be able to take on 75% or more of the function that two healthy kidney might have had, and that should give you more than adequate function for a lifetime. Provided of course that everything else seems fairrly healthy.

john-skpt replied to john-skpt's response:
Typo: first sentence should read "Follow-up".

rosieposie16 replied to john-skpt's response:
ok thank you and i don't really know what caused the problem they found it by accident doing a mri of my back!!

john-skpt replied to rosieposie16's response:
It's amazing how much stuff we can find these days with ultrasound and MRI, stuff that used to be found out once something got serious or sometime things that never got discovered.

Since there isn't an obvious co-factor like diabetes or high blood pressure, then as long as routine blood tests look good on periodic physical exams, there might be nothing much to worry about over the long haul. Just stay in regular touch with your primary doc from year to year so that anything that might show up in the future gets caught early.

mia00000000 replied to john-skpt's response:
hi.. what if it's due to hypoplastic left kidney with compensatory hypertrophy of the right kidney??? can it be treated with just medications?

john-skpt replied to mia00000000's response:
mia--

"Hypoplasia" generally manifests as a lower than expected number of functioning nephrons in the kidney. In most cases it is considered a genetic alteration that has probably been present from birth (even if only recently discovered).

Since the functional capacity of one kidney is somewhat reduced, then the alternate (contralateral) kidney compnesates by increasing in size and capacity.

There might be dozens of causes for the initial hypoplasia, but it might be very hard or impossible to identify a single cause. Yes, medication and careful health management (especially overall cardiovascular health) is probably the best way to go. If the heart and the blood vessels are happy, then the kidneys are generally happy. (They are the most blood-dependent organs in the whole body.)

Spotlight: Member Stories

I am a 38 year old male who was recently diagnosed with a mobile kidney. My right kidney is fully mobile. When I am lying down it is where it should b...More

Helpful Tips

petose kidney
hi i just one to ask a qustion. can ptose kidney be care? if yes pls tell me how am going crazy More
Was this Helpful?
0 of 0 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.