Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up

Announcements

Have you had a kidney transplant or are waiting for one? Then visit the Organ Transplant Community and the Diabetes and Kidney Community to share your experiences with other community members!

Are you newly diagnosed? Use the WebMD search engine to read articles like Understanding Kidney Disease.
removal of complex kidney cyst
Ilvtwins91 posted:
Had surgery on 12/9/11 to remove a 7.0 cm complex kidney cyst from left kidney. All went well. My questions is that since the surgery I have had headaches almost everyday.....is this something to be concerned about or just my body reacting to trauma of surgery, anesthesia, lack of activity etc.

john-skpt responded:
It's probably what you suspect: just the trauma of the surgery. One other thing that you might also consider is that any time the abdominal cavity is opened, some air gets trapped inside, this is especially the case of laparoscopic procedures because the deliberately expand the abdomen with CO2 in order to give the instruments a little more room to maneuver. This gas in the gut can cause all sorts of weird pains from things that mimic a heart attack to lower back pain to shoulder pain. It's just odd.

It generally absorbs slowly back into the bloodstream and the symptoms go away. This generally happens in a week or ten days but might go on longer in some cases.

I'd report the symptoms to your doc just to be sure, though, since it could be something else that we are not thinking of.

Ilvtwins91 replied to john-skpt's response:
I am 4 weeks post op - this was an open surgery, not laproscopy. I am still weak and sweat more than usual...especially at night. Is this normal? Had my post op appt and tumor was benign. I have been instructed still no heavy lifting until end of January but to begin normal activities and rest when needed.

OmSai replied to Ilvtwins91's response:
Can you please tell which hospital you got your medication and surgery from also the city? I was trying find out the best possible hospital for the same in Delhi. Thanks

An_245036 replied to OmSai's response:
I had my surgery in the United States. University of Pittsburgh Medical Center - Shadyside.

Spotlight: Member Stories

I went into the hospital on 4/5/10 for the removal of a large cyst on my right kidney (18 centimeters). The doctor inserted a prob up through the blad...More

Helpful Tips

contrast dye and polycystic kidney disease
Please do not have a CT scan with contrast dye if you have polycystic kidney disease. It is harmful and you can land up in the hospital ... More
Was this Helpful?
25 of 36 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.