Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
minimal invasive hip replacement???
gaely posted:
I am 64 and my right hip has pretty much given up (great deal of pain) and is bone on bone. Looking for a surgeon (I live in Michigan) and I keep hearing about minimally invasive hip replacement as the way to go (according to surgeons we have talked to). However, I was ready to deal with the idea of total hip replacement and now I am told I can have this surgery that has a quick recovery time. All I need to do is a lot of walking after surgery, instead of PT, rehab, etc of Total hip. That in 4 weeks I can drive and pretty much good to go. Can return to work (where I sit for hours as a marriage counselor, have to negociate a flight of very steep stairs to get to my office and should easily be walking without an aid such as a walker or cane. By 6 weeks I can count on no restrictions at all, except crossing my legs and bending at 90 degrees. In 3 months, I should be riding my horse again (something I haven't been able to do for over a year.) So I say to myself what is the catch??? What are surgeons NOT telling me?? And if this is so easy with quick recovery, why are people opting for the Full hip replacement over this minimal surgery?? He forgot to mention the surgery is X-ray directed...I don't know if that is an issue. I know me....if there is an easier way, that will be the route I will choose, but am I making a wise decision?? The surgeon has done a zillion (slight exaggeration) of these surgeries for 8 years, so he says. He totally ignored complications and just stressed all I can do. Obviously returning to work in a more speedy manner is important to me since I am self-employed. But, the real attraction is is the surgeon telling me I will be riding my horse in 3 months, when total hip replacement, they say 6-12 months. As a person who has relied on PT to keep my hip going, I cannot understand the claim no PT will be necessary. All I have to do is walk, and walk some more. Anyone I have talked to had the full hip replacement, so someone or lots of someones that had the minimal hip replacement, I would love to hear from you. Am I grabbing at a quick fix that I will regret??? My surgeon seems almost over confident. Everything I have asked him re: recovery is a "no problem" answer. And he fails to delve into complications. This scares me...a lot. I don't find a lot on the Internet, because this surgery seems to be in its infancy and little or any research to back up my surgeons claims. So, I do need feedback desperately. I will be making a decision in the next month.
Thanks for any feedback.....

_swank_ responded:
Here's a link to a good article on the subject:

http://arthritis.webmd.com/features/is-less-invasive-hip-replacement-best-for-you

My opinion is that you should pick your surgeon first and not the technique they use. And you should get as many opinions as possible so you can choose your surgeon wisely. In 6 months it's not going to matter which technique was used. I tend to look at the long range outcomes rather than short range. Getting back to life sooner is great but not if it it comes at a price. Other people want it over and done with and don't mind the potentially higher complication rate.

Anon_37397 replied to _swank_'s response:
Thsnk you..your comments were helpful towards making a huge decisionl

Helpful Tips

tkr
after I had my tkr, I learned to go down stairs backwards hanging on a banister or my husbands arm. This was 13 years ago. it really took ... More
Was this Helpful?
0 of 0 found this helpful

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems to the
Food and Drug Administration

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health Joint Replacement Center