5 weeks after surgery
ydididothis12 posted:
I just found this discussion and sure wish I had read this before I did my knee replacement. I am 5 weeks after surgery and the pain I feel is so much worse than what I had before surgery.
I went to the doctor at 2 weeks post op and was only able to bend to 60 degrees. He told me I was okay since I was at 60 before surgery and was very bad off. I felt better and went home with all of this pain and continued to work with pt. At my 4 week check up I was at 70 degrees and now he says I am so far behind I need to go in for manipulation. This is not going to happen!!! My surgeon has traumatized me. He does not put his patients to sleep for this surgery just a block in the thigh and an epidural so you cannot feel the surgery. Problems with this are 1) you can still hear it and 2) he does not tell you this before you go for the surgery. Does anyone know what it is like to listen to the docs perform this porocedure. I have cried for days at the thoughts of what I have heard and to watch simple things on tv that remind me of what I had to hear are unbearable and now he wants me to go back in for another procedure of manipulation is so traumatic for me to even consider.
I have out patient therapy 3 times a week now but am only on week 1 of this. I have 3 more weeks and then I feel as if I am given at least 4 more weeks I will be able to get better on my own with determination without having another procedure done. My knee does click all of the itme and I CANNOT get any sleep at night due to the pain but I am trying to hang in there. I did go to the store for the first time since surgeru yesterday and now my ankle and foot are swollen and this has me worried but I am going to say it is probably because I overdid it walking through the store but when I go to pt inan hour I will ask!!
Good luck to anybody who ever considers this surgery and I have to say I will never at this point recommend anyone get it done.

_swank_ responded:
First off, you're only 5 weeks post surgery. I don't know what you expected but this is major surgery. It's not a simple scope. Your knee is removed and replaced with something artificial. It takes a year or more to heal, not 5 weeks, not even 5 months. Telling people not to have this done at this point is just wrong. Instead, tell them it takes time to heal and you'll let them know.

As far as the anesthesia goes, did you ask your doctor what he was going to do before you had surgery? What did the anesthesiologist tell you at your pre-op appointment? S/he is the person you need to discuss your options with so there is no doubt about what is going to happen. Maybe there is a reason they kept you awake. The anesthesiologist is the one that usually explains all this ahead of time.

ydididothis12 replied to _swank_'s response:
Thank You for responding but I would like to comment and make a few more statements/questions. As I have hit 6 weeks I have to say I went to the doctor and I am at 90 degrees and a manipulation has been taken off the table for now. I do push myself very hard and even though I know this is a major surgery I have been going by what my doctor had been telling me and that is I would be back to normal by 3 months or so. When I get on here I see nothing but at least a year and when I discussed this with my therapist after reading this He also said at least a year. So I was thinking that I was so far behind because I was going for 3 months not 12.
As for the anesthesiologist I did not have an appointment with him before surgery, never met him until he came to do the thigh block I knew nothing about.
I have used this ortho doc in the past when my son broke his leg and my daughter tore her miniscus and had to have surgery and I truly liked him but I feel that the problem here is we ( I have talked to a few of his other patients at pt) were not told the truth as to what to expect and since this surgery was so major we need the truth so we can cope and function at a pace we feel we are doing good for ourselves.

_swank_ replied to ydididothis12's response:
I can't speak for why you never met with the anesthesiologist before surgery. However, you could have asked him what was going to happen when he came him. I've had 20 surgeries and have always known what was going to happen ahead of time. It's possible your doctor didn't know either so before you blame him you need to ask. Patients do have some responsibility for asking questions before they submit to surgery. Doctors can't remember everything. The pre-op appointment with the doctor and hospital is when all these things need to be talked about.

As for the recovery time, your doctor's definition of 'back to normal' is probably different than yours. Ask him what he means. I think I could say I felt relatively normal at 3 months, meaning my knee felt like my own and not something foreign. That doesn't mean I had full function or I was pain free. But I had already gotten back to my normal life. That could be what your doctor is talking about. Again, ask questions, ask questions, ask questions. Write them down as you think of them and then take the list to the doctor when you go so you don't forget.

Next time you have major surgery get another opinion or two. Other doctors are better at explaining things. Some doctors wait for you to ask questions and if you don't you get what you get.

ydididothis12 replied to _swank_'s response:
I have had surgery in the past and never met with the anesthesiologist before surgery. I feel as when I went into the pre-op with the doc he should have said "Just for you to know, we do not put you to sleep" because who would ever think you would be awake for such a big operation. Yes, I should have asked but I would NEVER had thought I would be awake so it never crossed my mind. Also, trust me I do ask questions, to the point where it seems I am taking to much time in the office and I talk to people i the waiting room and at therapy because I do want to make sure I am on track because it is obvious that the medical professionals are giving the one size fits all answers and that is not the case with this type of procedure.
I am getting there as far as recovery goes but when I am at pt and I talk with others who have had TKR it seems so upsetting to me that I am finding so many different degrees of recovery. There is a lady who is still in therapy since last June and 3 manipulations, the last one was just last Wednesday, or the lady who has been there since September. I am trying to keep positive and I am going to pt and I have now hired a personal trainer that specializes in TKR patients for water therapy i the pool. This is not covered by my insurance but I will not get a manipulation and I will not be stuck feeling worse than I did before surgery but I do have to admit at night when the pain I have is so bad and I cannot get any sleep I cry and cannot for the life of me remember why I felt that doing this was a good idea. That doesn't mean it is like this for others but it is at some points for me.