Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Includes Expert Content
Sudden knee pain 4 years after replacement
kikil123 posted:
I had a total knee replacement about 4-1/2 years ago and have been pain free and very active after only about 3 months of rehab and recovery. I exercise at a gym 2-3 times a week (treadmill, bike, nautilus), golf in good weather, and am basically an active 66-year old woman. Until a few days ago when my replaced knee started to flash pain when I stand up and kind of fully extend my leg. Once I get my balance and head forward, taking a couple of test steps, the pain twinges seem to abate and I can get around without trouble. But I no longer can trust the knee. Is this a sign of deterioration in the knee? It was just twinges of pain on Friday when I was at the gym, so I cut back on the leg exercises, but by today (Monday), it has become a fairly constant companion when getting up and beginning to walk. No pain when sitting. Any ideas?

_swank_ responded:
Yes, go see the surgeon that did the replacement and have him check it out.

Bal M Rajagopalan, MD responded:
Hello,

Please go see your surgeon and get x-rays done. These symptoms can suggest mechanical failure versus infection. This is the worst scenario.

DR RAJ MD,FRCSC
www.drhipandknee.com

kikil123 replied to Bal M Rajagopalan, MD's response:
I went to my surgeon (his PA) on Wednesday and after several X-rays, he said the knee prosthesis looked beautiful, that everything was in place. He thought there might be some tendon issues and that I might have over-exercised. I'd added 10 minutes of biking and increased my nautilus weights on leg machines the week before (in addition to my normal 30 min treadmill work). He removed some fluid and gave me a cortisone shot and said to come back in a week if it wasn't better. It was quite better for two days, but the pain is back a little this morning, even though I've backed off exercise and plan to continue for a few more days. Thank you for your advice. I'll go back to the doctor next week if the pain does not go away entirely.

Bhadiya replied to kikil123's response:
Hi.. Can you give us an update on how you are doing now, and how were you treated? Thanks

Helpful Tips

postop pain management
Consult with the anethesiologist relative to a pain management clinic who can help. In some cases, Lidoderm patches can be a big help as ... More
Was this Helpful?
1 of 1 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health Joint Replacement Center