Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Thigh muscle atrophy
irishtwins04 posted:
Several months ago, I tripped and fell directly on my right knee. It was swollen, very bruised and numb in several places.

It seemed to have gotten better, but got worse a few weeks ago. I got it checked. X-ray was normal. The main thing they noticed was that my thigh muscle in my right leg is atrophying, because I favor the other leg.

I exercise regularly, but rested for a few days after seeing the dr. I was told to not exercise if it's painful. However, how is the right leg going to get stronger if I continue to avoid using it? I've been surprised to notice that I really do let my right leg drag when using stairs, getting out of the car, etc. It does hurt if I use it.

I have a 2yr. old to chase all day, and I have really worked to maintain a regular exercise schedule. I really don't want to restrict myself for no good reason, but I don't want this to turn into a bigger problem.

Thanks for any input.

_swank_ responded:
Go back and see an orthopedic surgeon and get an MRI of your knee to make sure there's no damage. X-rays are pretty useless for seeing anything but bones. The soft tissue is damaged more often in knees. From there you'll probably get sent to a physical therapist who can show you the proper way to get your muscles back.

Helpful Tips

Pain after Knee ReplacmentExpert
For most people a knee replacement can predictably eliminate pain and restore function. This is not to say that the operation is not ... More
Was this Helpful?
58 of 73 found this helpful

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems to the
Food and Drug Administration

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health Joint Replacement Center