Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Nickel Allergy?
An_244876 posted:

Take the Poll

I have a nickel allergy and need a total knee replacement. Has anyone else had a successful implant despite having a nickel allergy?
  • yes
  • no
vote
View Poll Results

KevinHilton responded:
Cutaneous sensitivity to nikkel or any metal doesn't actually automatically imply a sensitivity when metal is implanted in the body. Patch testing for metals that are placed on your skin are not predictive of what they might do once implanted inside. If highly concerned, ask your surgeon to draw blood and send your blood out for antigen challenge. This is usually done at specialized labs.

mpolif responded:
Hi. I also have skin allergies to nickel. The Hospital for Special Surgery in Manhattan sent my blood to Rush Memorial in Chicago and sure enough, my blood reacted (a lot) to nickel and a few other metals. So glad I found out before I went through with a hip replacement and suffered the agony that others have.

When are they going to come out with a 100% nickel free replacement!??? Anyone???

Health Insurance in Your State

Learn about plans, benefits, and costs in your state's Marketplace.

From WebMD

Helpful Tips

tkr
after I had my tkr, I learned to go down stairs backwards hanging on a banister or my husbands arm. This was 13 years ago. it really took ... More
Was this Helpful?
0 of 0 found this helpful

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems to the
Food and Drug Administration

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health Joint Replacement Center