Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
After Hip Replacement Surgery, When is it ok to start taking Ibprofen again?
LarryLegend27 posted:
I am 51 yrs old and 6 weeks post op from hip replacement surgery and full weight bearing with very little help from a cane. My question is prior to the surgery I used to take Motrin for the day to day little aches and pains. When is it ok to take them again as my ortho didn't want me taking them right after the surgery because it hampers bone healing.

KevinHilton responded:
Your ortho doc is prohibiting use of NSAIDs because he wants to maximize the bone ingrowth potential into your hip components (femoral stem and acetabulum). Additionally if you were on coumadin or another blood thinner after surgery, you usually do not have people on NSAIDs such as Ibuprofen with these agents. Usual standard of care of no NSAIDs ranges from 6 weeks to 3 months. If I were in your shoes however, call the doctor and just ask what he wants you to do. Usually a visit isn't necessary for a question like this.

Helpful Tips

postop pain management
Consult with the anethesiologist relative to a pain management clinic who can help. In some cases, Lidoderm patches can be a big help as ... More
Was this Helpful?
1 of 1 found this helpful

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems to the
Food and Drug Administration

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health Joint Replacement Center