Skip to content
Post op Depression
An_245183 posted:
I had both knees replaced almost 8 weeks ago (3/12/12). While in the hospital and rehab (12 days), I had so much praise about how well I was doing and even told that I was the "Poster Child" for TKR. Once I got home and the attention and visitors diminished-after about 4 weeks, I got depressed-not constantly but intermittenly-until this week, now it's everyday. I go to PT once a week and I'm told I'm not making any progress, which doesn't help and for the most part I do the exercises at home unless I'm too depressed. I'd love to go toPT every day or at least 2x/week but the facility I go to is too busy and can't accomodate any more visits. I know it's common to have post op depression. I wonder if I'm either babying myself or expecting too much. I do go out at least once a day for my mental health and even work. I'm a realtor in San Francisco so you can imagine what it's like with stairs but I do limit much of the work to phone and computer work.Luckily I have a partner but I do need to see people now and then and minimize the surgery as "I've had knee surgery" since I don't want to lose business by having people think I'm not capable of helping them. I need to work, don't have workmans comp and have a huge deductable to pay for this surgery. So I'm not just isolating myself but hold back tears that seem to come unexpectedly when I'm in the public. Has anyone started on antidepressants temporarily to get through the recovery period and has it helped? Thanks! Any comments are appreciated.

Caprice_WebMD_Staff responded:
Hello,

I hope that others who have been through this will be responding soon but, in the meantime, I wanted to welcome you here.

It sounds like you're continuing to do as much as you can for yourself despite the depression but now may be a good time to discuss this aspect with your doctor.
We never touch people so lightly that we do not leave a trace. ~Peggy Tabor Millin

bkdgkg replied to Caprice_WebMD_Staff's response:
Thanks for your response. I did see my PA this week and started on meds but it takes 2-3 weeks to see results. I do feel a bit better. I guess I wasn't anticipating pain and stiffness at this point which is probably naive on my part.It's a process of healing and I'm trying to be patient.

Caprice_WebMD_Staff replied to bkdgkg's response:
I'm glad you're starting to feel a bit better, Bkdgkg.
We never touch people so lightly that we do not leave a trace. ~Peggy Tabor Millin

1wareaglefan responded:
Hello...I'm 3 weeks out from my TKR. First of all, I'm glad you did get on an antidepressant. I take one, also, and I still have times when I cry and feel depressed. This surgery is huge! I didn't realize just how much it would be.

I'm surprised that the PT facility tells you they can only take you 1 day a week, no matter how busy they are. I've never heard of that. I'm sure you do need therapy more than that one day a week. Could you try to persuade them, or maybe get your doctor to call and get you in more times?

Anyway, I hope things start to get better. I've read where getting over this surgery takes from 6 mos. to a year, maybe even longer. That's probably not what you want to hear, but it could help to know that what you're going through is normal.

Take care, and stay in touch! I like to see how people are doing. I'm struggling with PT, specifically range of motion.

Elizabeth

jimibob responded:
Hello, Your bravery I do admire, i must say! I have done both knees in about five and a half months and even the second one is doing well I will admit! I went home from the hospital in three days and therapy started about three days later. They were dedicated to make my surgery a success but my input was most essential. I worked as hard as they did when they left my house. Nights was my problem! I couldn't sleep because the is no comfortable position for the knees(tell me if you have a secret,please). So I chose the recliner to get me through. Another worse problem was my back side...nerves were awfully aggrevated. I Prayed and substituted some of the simple equipment that the therapist used and worked on my attitude.I had many sad nights so I do understand how all patients must feel at some time!Everything you can think of on your on to do, DO it! Every day will get better.LoL!

Helpful Tips

Knee op comfort
I have. 2. Tkr. And. I wade in The. Pool More
Was this Helpful?
0 of 0 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health Joint Replacement Center