Skip to content
Includes Expert Content
Metal on Metal Hip Replacment Revision Surgery?
SusanQ736 posted:
It seems that every time I read about new studies on the metal on metal hip implant, they all seem to say the same thing about the dangers of cobalt poisoning, cancers, bone fractures, pain, etc.

Is anyone else considering revision surgery? I have been in terrible pain for years, just scared to go through another surgery.
Agoragram responded:
SusanQ I hear you. I am in the same situation. It does not help that in searching the web I found that revision surgery is more dangerous than the original which makes it even more problematic--at least according to one source. Now with all the recalls of hip implants it is hard to know what to believe. I hope some orthopedic surgeon and/or a person who has had success with this situation will reply. Thanks for bringing the issue to the forefront. Best wishes!!!
KevinHilton responded:

The guidelines when to revise a metal on metal hip are in constant evolution so the answer to your question isn't as straightforward as you wish. Some helpful tips:

Make sure your surgeon rules out an infection.
If you are still painful with a MOM (metal on metal) hip, usually both imaging (a metal artifact reduction sequence or MARS MRI is used) and serum metal ion levels are drawn. In some cases a hip aspiration is also performed.

If you are in constant pain after a MOM hip and its been some time after the initial surgery, you should really seek consultation by your original surgeon or a surgeon specializing in joint revision surgery.
Bal M Rajagopalan, MD replied to Agoragram's response:

Get your cobalt blood levels checked and have a surgeon X-ray you. if there are changes, then you need a revision. If you are having terrible pain, this is likely the cause.


Helpful Tips

Tips on options for hip replacementsExpert
In today's competitive markets, many companies and surgeons are advocating and pushing their own prosthesis, when it comes to hip ... More
Was this Helpful?
32 of 42 found this helpful

Related Drug Reviews

  • Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health Joint Replacement Center