Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Hip Replacement with LYMPHEDEMA
2scaredbutts posted:
I have the great misfortune of living in Virginia, Richmond City in fact. And for the past 2 and a half years I have had to deal with several issues that the medical profession in this area seem to be very afraid and carry notions about.
The first being that I am dealing with a severe case of Hip Arthritis that is in very bad need of a replacement. The next being that I have had to deal with "lymphedema" in my lower right leg a little over 2 years ago. The condition is now under control with wraps and a change in diet.
The last is that I am a Black Male and am considered morbidly obese. The last coming about due to the several failed back surgeries that I have had to undergo over the last 13 years. These are also thought to be the cause of my 'lymphedema.'
I have seen several orthopedic surgeons over the past 5 to 8 months. And not a single one is willing to even take the chance to do the "hip replacement surgery," necessary due to give me any freedom from the constant pain that I am having to endure.
I even had one plays "Let's Make a Deal," and stated that I should have 'gastric bypass surgery' to get my weight down for the "hip replacement."
I am quite aware that the medical community is very bias toward the Poor, women, and Black males, when it comes to doing anything that will make their living better in any way, form or fashion.
Here in Virginia, there is no agency that governs or assures the general public that they are safe from any dubious actions from doctors. The doctors themselves are the governing body, and pass out any and all forms of punishments or actions against a doctors for malpractice.
Is there nothing that can be done for someone on my position with this type of problem. And is there any known surgery that can be done to make my life more livable, while reducing the terrible pain and depression that I am forced to endure each and everyday of my life?
Anyone out there, PLEASE?
I AM BEGGING FOR ANY HELP OF ANY TYPE??????

_swank_ responded:
Honestly, I'd be willing to bet that the doctors' reluctance to replace your hip has more to do with your obesity than your color. No doubt you would benefit from the surgery but the complication rate is much higher and it's a much more difficult surgery. I know several non-black people that were told to have gastric bypass before their surgeons would replace their joints.

KitMinden responded:
Apply for financial assistance at St Mary's. Apply for financial assistance at Sheltering Arms. A doctor at St Mary's can prescribe aquatherapy at Sheltering Arms. In the pool, you can work out fully supported by the water. Your weight will begin to drop' your leg and pelvic muscles will strengthen. Eventually, you will qualify for the surgery.

Helpful Tips

postop pain management
Consult with the anethesiologist relative to a pain management clinic who can help. In some cases, Lidoderm patches can be a big help as ... More
Was this Helpful?
1 of 1 found this helpful

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems to the
Food and Drug Administration

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health Joint Replacement Center