Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Includes Expert Content
fitness to work after bilateral hip replacement
An_245299 posted:
hi
i have a friend who works in oil rigsand has had a bilateral hip replacement
his job prior to surgery incolved manual labour. its been 6 months now post surgery . his treating doctor says its ok for him to return , but i'm not sure the kind of work he does if he is fit to do manual labour 3-4 hrs a day
have any of you had similar cases or heard the same
are there any standards of assessments we can follow for the oil and gas industry for return to work for hip replacement cases

Take the Poll

When can a person return to manual labour work after a bilateral hip replacement
  • 6 months
  • 8 months
vote
View Poll Results

Bal M Rajagopalan, MD responded:
Hello,

I do not know the standards of assessment with oil and gas industries. What I do recommend is to get a functional capacity evaluation (FCE). This FCE is a detailed test to see what your friend can do safely for 4 hours of work. We are all created differently so the hip shouldn't be the sole parameter of assessment.

DR RAJ MD,FRCSC
www.drhipandknee.com

Helpful Tips

Pain after Knee ReplacmentExpert
For most people a knee replacement can predictably eliminate pain and restore function. This is not to say that the operation is not ... More
Was this Helpful?
58 of 73 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health Joint Replacement Center