Skip to content
new to group
1wareaglefan posted:
Hello, I'm glad to find a support group for knee replacement. I had my right knee done on May 1, so I'm 3 weeks out. Of course, I'm still suffering with pain, swelling, stiffness, and having difficulty with achieving good range of motion. I'm going to PT 3x a week, cut down from 5x a week. I was having so much pain, the PT thought I'd do better having a day to recupe inbetween visits.

I also have fibromyalgia, which I think complicates things. I'm looking foward to talking with others who know what I'm going through here.

Thanks....ELizabeth
FirstPrevious12NextLast

Or1onsStar responded:
Elizabeth, I just passed the 10 day mark from tnr. I hope to get the staples out this week. I have been doing exercises at home and will start with rehab the end of this week. It has been my understanding your results are common so far. Don't get disappointed just yet. I am in the cycle of exercise, ice, still swell and stiffen. Ice helps, but we just went thru a Major surgery. Hang in there!

1wareaglefan replied to Or1onsStar's response:
Thank you so much, Or1onsStar....I started with outpatient therap right after the hospital. They really push you to get that ROM before you go see the doctor. I know that everybody's different, and some have more difficulty than others.

Yesterday I did get to 81, which I was very excited about! The doctor wants me at 90 when I see him on Fri. I'll do my best, but that's ALL I can do!

Are you finding this is more difficult than you imagined?

Or1onsStar replied to 1wareaglefan's response:
Not sorry I had it done, I work 10 hour days on concrete floor. This is minor to the pain of 3 days in a row at work. I feel we are on the down hill slide. Yep, you hit the nail on the head, all Drs and pts have different expectations. They need the proof in numbers they are doing their job - for the insurance co. too.

Good luck Friday! Difficult? Na, Just a bump in the road.

Caprice_WebMD_Staff responded:
Welcome here, Elizabeth.

I'm glad you found your way here.
We never touch people so lightly that we do not leave a trace. ~Peggy Tabor Millin

1wareaglefan replied to Caprice_WebMD_Staff's response:
Thanks, Caprice. I'm looking for all the support I can get! This is definitely not for the "faint of heart!"

Elizabeth

Or1onsStar replied to Caprice_WebMD_Staff's response:
Me too Caprice and Elizabeth. Glad to tag along.

Update! Dr visit = staples removed! Yes! Feels better already. Someone told me using liquid vitamin e would help the scar "fade". Going to try. 1st therapy at local rehab. Went well too! I really like this pt. Made a huge difference in my attitude and should help speed rom. Just so much to regain. ugh!

wilomena replied to Or1onsStar's response:
I, too, was looking for something to help prevent the scars from being so pronounced. on parts of me incisions fade, but I've got an impressive gall bladder scar from 28 years ago. I had also heard about vit e, but found this online:

"DON'T treat with vitamin E. Despite what your grandmother may have told you, vitamin E has been shown in a University of Miami study to impair wound healing. (In addition, one-third of the patients tested also developed an allergic reaction.)"

I did read to keep sun off the wounds (use sunscreen if you have to) and to massage (use lotion to keep friction down). Those and laser procedures were the only things I really found.

Or1onsStar replied to wilomena's response:
MMmmmmm - maybe I won't.

Ok, How did things go today?

I was very upset after my dr. appt. I'd gone to PT before, and they'd gotten my leg to bend to 90, with my screaming, of course. So I thought, great, I made my first goal.

Well, the doctor walks in and tells me I'm way, way, way, way behind! He said I'm going to have to rev up my therapy and he's giving me 3 weeks to get to 120 or he's doing a manipulation.

I just sat there and cried. I thought I'd made a lot of progress, and I'd worked so very hard. It was like to him I'd done nothing! Very, very upset.

I am truly sorry to hear this. I so understand your pain. I'm not a Dr or a PT, but threats never motivated me. It doesn't seem to have helped you either. So many things to consider here. Age, past activity, current health, are there any other options from your therpist? What about a sit down heart to heart with pt and maybe even the supervisor to see it any options are being missed? A friend at church today ask if I liked the "motion machine"??? I haven't used one. He said it moved your leg and could be adjusted to start as little or as long as needed to get motion going again. ??? Keep your chin up!

Thanks so much for your concern. My husband is really becoming my pt at home now, and we're working really, really hard together. We're going for walks 2x a day, doing bending many times a day, and he even bought a glider chair, which caues me to bend my knee back and forth. Actually the doctor's assistant recommended this.

My husband said not to worry about the doctor's threats, that we're going to do the best we can and make much progress, but we don't have to do the other surgery....it's my choice. I feel that progress is progress! And I will keep pushing forward for as long as it takes.

I do use that motion machine at therapy. This glider actually seems to be the best way so far for me to bend back and forth. I will be talking to the pt on Tues. and telling them about the visit. Well, actually the PA was going to call them and tell them to crank things up. We'll see....hopefully with all this extra work at home, things will get better.

Thanks again!

Sounds like good news to me! A glider, rocking chair, swing, was suggested to me also the other day. I'll have my hubby go to the barn and dig out /clean up the rocking chair I used when I had our little girl. I'm glad to hear you feel progress is progress. My feelings too. Steady Eddie has always been my best bet. I also do pt today. It's raining here, must be from the hurricain. Pt told me to be weather wise. Could be the rain may affect the replace joint????? Another day down, closer to being "normal"

Helpful Tips

Knee op comfort
I have. 2. Tkr. And. I wade in The. Pool More
Was this Helpful?
0 of 0 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health Joint Replacement Center