Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Includes Expert Content
Hip Revision Surgery
Cari46 posted:
Hi All,

I'm new to the group... and am hoping to find support and answers to questions. I initially had both hips replaced in my 30's due to steroid meds for Lupus, which caused bone death. I had my first revision surgery May 1st and am almost 3 weeks out. It's been 17 years since my first replacements, and really can't remember how this is all supposed to go! I'm still in quite a bit of pain, and while my doctor thinks this is normal, I felt the need to ask others in the same situation. If it is normal, how long will it last? I don't have much help at home, it was planned for, just never happened though, so I wonder if I'm causing myself injury by overdoing it? I could really use some advise on how to get through this the best way possible!

Thanks,
Cari

gwall2007 responded:
Cari: I have had 4 replacements on one hip and am foreseeing having my first one on my other hip, come this fall. I do know from past experience; the sooner the therapists get you out of bed and begin your therapy, the faster your recovery time. Also, if you don't have much help at home, as you indicated, you might want to ask about being sent to a good nursing home/rehab center. I did this with my last revision surgery and what a difference it made. My husband back then was working (he's now retired 12 years later) and our two kids were in school. So it was better for me to be transferred from the hospital to a rehab center for extensive physical therapy. I wish you the best.
Ginny (Arizona)

Bal M Rajagopalan, MD responded:
Hello,

A revision surgery is much more difficult so rehab will take a lot longer. So, in essence, trust your surgeon.

DR RAJ MD,FRCSC
www.drhipandknee.com

kiwikim13 responded:
Hi Cari,

I would be interested to know how you recovered from your revision. I am in a similar situation, had a hip replacement when I was 35 and now trying to remember how long it'll take to recover. I am two months on from hip revision and although I can walk around a bit without crutches, I am still in pain if I overdo it and walk with a sort of sway. My fear is that this will be as good as it gets, but I do remember that 9 months after the hip replacement, I was climbing a big hill in Thailand no problems. I know that a revision is a different op, also I had some bone grafting. Did you improve and how long did it take??
Thanks in advance
Kim

Helpful Tips

duct leakage test
This could be everybody's great solution for carrying ladders inside house and risking own life from falling, ... More
Was this Helpful?
1 of 1 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health Joint Replacement Center